IGNORED

Starter removal question

I have an 87 venture standard that has the typical hot start problem. (Turns over slow when hot ) I'm doing a clutch change and I'm polishing and clearcoating the engine covers, so I have the bike mildly torn down, and I figure it'd be worth taking the starter apart and cleaning it, and seeing what I can do to improve the internal ground contacts. I seem to remember that a member had a detailed post on starter removal, but cannot seem to find it.

Anyone remember the post?....if so, how can I find it?:think:

Remove the fairing lowers and chin. Empty coolant. Remove the hoses and anything to get access to the starter. Disconnect battery. Disconnect wires to starter motor. Remove starter. Disassemble starter motor. Clean inside with electric cleaner or brake cleaner and compressed air. Check brushes. Clean commutator with fine sandpaper or steel wool.

Run another short ground wire from the brush plate to the inside of the cover.

Clean the engine to the starter motor mountings and external starter.

Reassemble. Run another heavy wire from one of the motor mounting bolts to the engine battery ground just to the right front of the engine. Clean both ends of the battery negative and positive wires, remove the shrink tubing and soak terminals in baking soda. Recoat in grease. Recover with shrink tubing or good tape.

I guarantee it will start better if your battery is good.

Remove the fairing lowers and chin. Empty coolant. Remove the hoses and anything to get access to the starter. Disconnect battery. Disconnect wires to starter motor. Remove starter. Disassemble starter motor. Clean inside with electric cleaner or brake cleaner and compressed air. Check brushes. Clean commutator with fine sandpaper or steel wool.

Run another short ground wire from the brush plate to the inside of the cover.

Clean the engine to the starter motor mountings and external starter.

Reassemble. Run another heavy wire from one of the motor mounting bolts to the engine battery ground just to the right front of the engine. Clean both ends of the battery negative and positive wires, remove the shrink tubing and soak terminals in baking soda. Recoat in grease. Recover with shrink tubing or good tape.

I guarantee it will start better if your battery is good.

Good advice. Just a good cleaning will help these things.

Also, Resolder the studs on each end of both battery cables, after cleaning them.

Examine your Fuse block, make sure not loose prongs on especially the 15 AMP Ignition fuse.

Open up, and Clean the RUN-STOP Switch.

Inspect the large white Plug in the cable from the Stator, going to the Regulator unit.

( maby burnt pins in that plug, this is very common ) Cut the plug out, and splice the wires togerhter ( Solder the splices )

Remove plugs from TCI, and Clean the Pins in Both 6 and 8 pin plug.

Check the RED battery cable, where it pass 's thru the fram, Below the battery box, the Left, Fwd corner of the Battery Box.

You might also have Fried Contacts inside the Starter Solinoid. ( Replace with new solinoid, or a small Automobil solinoid