IGNORED

"motorcops" Safety Course

Guest DREBBIN

Riders - Friends,

A new company has been formed in Northern VA by HIGHLY experienced motor cops from FAIRFAX COUNTY PD -- http://www.saddleupva.com

I encourage you to look at their basic, experienced and other courses. I'm going back to BASICS on 12-14 OCT.

Note they have a 35 hour ON THE ROAD course - what a great idea.

See you there !!! DREBBIN

It looks OK, but I wonder how it compares to the MSF courses???

The US Military requires the MSF course to be able to ride on any military installation, so they offer it for FREE to active duty, retirees, contractors, Government employed civilians, reservist!!!!!! (you provide your own bike)

No, the MSF doesn't offer the longer course.....but at $2,500 it had better be GREAT!!!!!!!

I can only speak right now for the QUALITY of the FCPD Motor Officers -- FANTASTIC -- 4 of them have opened this business.

I'll be taking at least 2 courses and will provide an eval. $2,500??? How much did you spend on your bike, accessories, clothes, gear and maintenance? DREBBIN

The US Military requires the MSF course to be able to ride on any military installation, so they offer it for FREE to active duty, retirees, contractors, Government employed civilians, reservist!!!!!! (you provide your own bike)

No, the MSF doesn't offer the longer course.....but at $2,500 it had better be GREAT!!!!!!!

MSF is a joke compared to this. I took the 80 hour two week police course. MSF is bare minimum and you dont really get a good feel of control. The police course is a b*ll buster and you are tired mentally and physically if its done right and you drop your bike many times and find yourself on the ground thinking what am I doing here. I seen many people fail it because they are afraid to lean the bike over especially at low speeds and yes I took the MSF course and dont think it's enough to give someone a license. Now I dont personally have info on this particular course so I cant really comment on it.

Just my thoughts.

I dont mean to knock the instructors of MSF. Im sure most are good people but the course is not in depth enough and not enough wheel time. Its a starting point and better then nothing but I think people starting to learn how to ride need alot more training especially wheel time and read every book you can on the subject. Of course this is just my opinion and everyone may not agree with me.

Depends on the base. Here in the Atlanta area, retirees are not eligible for the free course. It was $250 when I took it, but still worth it.

I dont mean to knock the instructors of MSF. Im sure most are good people but the course is not in depth enough and not enough wheel time. Its a starting point and better then nothing but I think people starting to learn how to ride need alot more training especially wheel time and read every book you can on the subject. Of course this is just my opinion and everyone may not agree with me.

Jimbob,

You called it right. The MSF course is enough to get someone aclimated to riding by learning the basics. Without some experience riding, a more advanced course would be very discouraging. You need to get a feel for riding before you can begin taking the courses that show how to scrap a floorboard.

I rode for the first time at age 39. The RSV is my first ever bike (OK, I had a 1st Gen for about a month and traded it in on an RSV). Have since taken the MSF experienced riding course and found it very helpful. However, I would have just spent the whole time falling over if I were to have taken the experienced rider course (as an extended MSF course) initially.

Would love to take a basic Police riding course. At $2500??? That will buy a lot of toys and chrome.

RR

Depends on the base. Here in the Atlanta area, retirees are not eligible for the free course. It was $250 when I took it, but still worth it.

I would contact the safety office.... as a retiree, you are allowed to use the MWR facilities, the commissary, and you have to get to personnel to update your ID card, etc.... they should allow retirees to attend!!!!!!!! and not just on a space available basis!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be taking the Experienced rider course later this month, and I think I will be the only student....... Two instructors and just one student!!!!!

• 2 years later...

.. with about 150,000 miles under my belt at 67 years of age. I found I DID NOT know how to ride safely and ONLY defensively! Cost: $200, and a great course taught by a young mid-30's lovely lady who knew her stuff! I learned how to ride over that 2x4 that the box in front of me straddled, etc. It was well worth the cost. I've been riding since 1986, and have had many downs, once since the training, due to a BOX and my NOT using enough caution.

JackZ

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The MSF course is great for new riders to learn the basics of motorcycle riding, upright riding position, counter balance, and basic motorcycle control...

with that being said...

If any rider ever gets the opportunity to take a police run Motor Officer Course...jump on the opportunity! Ive been riding street since i was 16, and i took the MSF course when i was 20 in order to ride on the military base i was stationed at. The MSF course opened my eyes and i learned a lot of things...

About five years ago I had the opportunity to take the Motor Officer Course...and I'll be the first to tell you that i was amazed at how much i learned in that course. Threashhold braking, cone weaves, slow speed u-turns, upright turns, full lean turns, consecutive u-turns, and hours and hours of road riding, the list goes on an on...You wont be disappinted at the end and it will provide you with a lifetime of survival skills!

just my two cents worth...

:cop:

I've been riding since the late 60's, but took an MSF course here in KY when we moved here a few years ago. I found it to be a good, solid, BASIC course. (As the instructor said at the end "Congratulations, you are now qualified to operate a 125cc motorcycle at low speed on a closed course under adult supervision!) IF the course is ALL you've got, you still need to learn a lot of stuff before you get on the street, HOWEVER, I sure wish I'd had something like this when I first started out all those years ago--would have saved my butt from gravel rash on a number of occassions, not to mention wear and tear on my bike at the time. Like most guys my age, I learned by "braile". (Remember the old stories we were told? "Never use the front brake, it'll through you over the handlebars!" "Never turn the bars when actually riding, you steer by body english leaning the bike", etc. etc. Sheesh, it's a wonder any of us survived long enough to GET any real riding experience!:backinmyday:

As an MSF instructor I have no problem with the statements about the training we offer compared to the more advanced professional training available. The ARC is the best we offer for advanced riders. Don't get hung up on labels and politics, get the training that is good for you and your skill/comfort level. Just get training and practice so your skills stay sharp. Ride like a pro did more for me on the Venture than any thing I did. Ride safe Rod

ps try the ARC/ST with the msf, it is a hoot on a Venture.