IGNORED

85VR charging system.......HELP

The voltage on a 85VR dropped into the yellow 8volt area & drained the battery, replaced the rectifer/regulator worked just great for 2 weeks, now volt meter is down in the yellow zone again. Manual indicates that it may be the starter coil [where do I find the starter coil?] & have I burned out another rectifier? I enjoy wrenching, dont understand electrical :confused24::confused24::confused24:at all so walk me through slowly. Thanks in advance Stewart :canada::canada::canada:

"starter coil", or "stator coil"???

the latter seems to me to be the culprit.

i can't tell you where the stator, is, because i haven't gotten around to "checking " mine yet!

it is on my "ROUND-TO-IT" list!

someone who is smarter than i, will help US out shortly!

lol

just jt

The coil you are refering to is under the left side front engine cover.

It can be checked with a volt/ohm meter. I have a manual but it has a misprint in it and for the life of me i cant remember what the isprint is, except that it list the wrong common wire. not sure what the right common wire is.

With it working for a while and then stopping again, I'm going to say , check the wires coming from the Stator (three white wires) and the wires coming from the rectifier/regulator. (where they connect to the harness )The connection there will cause the same problem if it is bad. Look for coorosion or melted plastic.

The coil you are refering to is under the left side front engine cover.

It can be checked with a volt/ohm meter. I have a manual but it has a misprint in it and for the life of me i cant remember what the isprint is, except that it list the wrong common wire. not sure what the right common wire is.

With it working for a while and then stopping again, I'm going to say , check the wires coming from the Stator (three white wires) and the wires coming from the rectifier/regulator. (where they connect to the harness )The connection there will cause the same problem if it is bad. Look for coorosion or melted plastic.

Sounds about right to me, in fact pretty well right on. Make sure the connections are clean and tight.

There is good information out there to test your stator just by unplugging it and testing with an ohm meter or starting ant testing the voltage across all 3 pairs of connections. The voltage or resistance should be the same across all pairs. If the stator tests good, cut the connector out and solder the wires. The resistance of a bad connection will get hot enough to melt the connector. If the stator tests bad you'll have to order a new one.