IGNORED

Passenger seat only suggestions

I have just purchased a 2008 Royal Star tour deluxe, and just love it. I have been riding for 11 years and my wife has recently taken an interest in riding with me.

There is just one problem the rear seat, I am pleased so far with the front.

What has worked for other people and there wives??

At this point I would like to just change the rear and am looking at the Corbin or the Mustang. I have had both on other bikes and like the Mustang better myself.

So any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for you help. Joelmark.

Guest Lightnen
I have just purchased a 2008 Royal Star tour deluxe, and just love it. I have been riding for 11 years and my wife has recently taken an interest in riding with me.

At this point I would like to just change the rear and am looking at the Corbin or the Mustang. I have had both on other bikes and like the Mustang better myself.

I agree with you about the Mustang being better for I changed my 1100 V-Star over to one, but it still takes a few hundred miles to break in. On my RSV 06 I have what some call the couch seat, (no bottons) its soft leather with alot of padding I've found this seat to be the greatest most comfy seat around. There is someone (can't think of who) that rebuilds seats to the couch, he can be found on the RSV sites on Delphi forums. This would be a lot cheaper than the Mustang for sure..

I think if you change only the passenger, its going to look a bit funny, but its your bike. I've got the Corbin dual touring and like it just fine.

You might consider taking the seat to a reputable car upolsterer and talk about putting a different density foam or ask him what he can do about making the seat more comfortable. This is alot cheaper than having to ship the seat across the country and can be done normally in a few weeks.

I had the same problem, my wife was uncomfortable with stock, Ultimate, and Yamaha Comfort Cruise. :mo money:

I got her an Airhawk pad to strap on and now she can ride so long she doesn't even always get off when I stop!

It's the same technology that is used for wheelchairs etc. and they cost about $125 or so I think.

I bought the Mustang seat for my 2005 RSTD. The pillion seat is a bit wider, but my wife didn't notice any difference in comfort. I'm not sure the pillion alone will fit with the stock RSTD seat.

Although I've found the Mustang seat to be superior to the stock seat, it is not for everyone. I am 6' 4" and find the seat pushes me forward enough to cramp my legroom. My solution is to sit on a 1 1/4 pad that I had purchased in an attempt to make the stock seat livable. The pad raises me up enough to let me enjoy the Mustang seat.

I've read many good things about Rick Butler's seat mods. You may give him a shout and see what he recommends.

My wife loves the airhawk cushion on top of the factory seat. Cheaper than a new seat and removable. But, my wife does not like a firm seat and with the adjustability of the airhawk she could adjust to her liken.

Joel,

I'm afraid that the rear seat on a TD just does not have alot of real-estate foam to work with. However I have done some initial analysis to see if I could marry the foam and cover off a RS Venture onto the TD plastic pan, but have not yet been able to complete this proof of concept. Even though the TD is pretty close to the Venture, the seats are both smaller and mount up completely different. So maybe this winter I can get a change to do this. However this would require you to purchase a set of RS Venture seats to make it all work right.

But I can certainly help make your current TD seat better for a passenger. In fact now that I think of it, I just happen to have a brand new passenger seat up in my attic. So if you would like me to rework her seat, I could send you mine until I finished yours.

But if you really need a wider seat for the passenger, then the Mustang or Ultimate seats are a good option.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Rick thanks for your info, I looked up the pics on your seat mods and that just might work.

I am tempted to just get the mustang seat combo, but am doubtful it will work for her??

Just hate spending over $400 to try, so Rick your set mod just might be the ticket.

We are going on a group ride this sunday and I have a airhawk pad for her to use, she just does not like the fact that it moves a bit and she feels unattached to the bike.

Rick one more question, the seat you have in your attic is it a new seat off a Royal Star Tour Deluxe? If so would it be possible to have you mod it and send it to me and I send mine to you for less "down time"?? Let me know, Joel.

Joelmark,

Had the same problem with my wife and our 05 RSTD.

I ended up going with a gel pad from Saddleman.

It doubled her riding time before needing a rest stop (from 1hr to 2hrs) plus she claimed it made the end of the day much more comfortable. She claims its not an added comfort you feel right away, but you realize after an hour "Hey, I don't hurt like I usual od".

Cost me about $100.

Good Luck !

Bob