IGNORED

Yet another GPS guestion

saddlebum

I just bought a TOM TOM RIDER 2nd EDITION. I bought the TOM TOM because I have one in my car and love it compared to my buddys GARMIN I found it more accurate, easier to use and easier to update. As well their tech support has been great. Everything works great on it except on a SUNNY DAY I cannot see the screen. Is this common for all Motorcycle GPS's ??? or is it just a TOM TOM Issue.:think::think::think:

Unless it comes with a sun shield (or you make one) this will be a problem. I have a Garmin Nuvi and I put several small strip of Velcro along the top and sides, I left open areas for the on/off switch and the area where it clips to the mount. I then took a piece of flexible black plastic and cut out a shield that resembles a brim on a baseball cap. Then attached another small strip of Velcro to that. So far it works pretty well. I used the Garmin Nuvi because the suction mount holds to the top of the speedometer case or the windshield with no problem. To water proof it is easy: Saran wrap, doesn't interfere with the touch screen and helps to keep it dry. And of course I'm cheap and didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new GPS with special mounts and waterproofed for a motorcycle.

:hurts:

I think It's a not really designed for motorcycle thing. The screen on the ones I have seen dont work in glaring sun.

The Garmin on my bike is easier to read in full sunlight than when not. It's why I decided against the tom-Tom. I took at least 5 GPS's out of the box at the store and took them outside in bright sunlight before I settled on the Zumo and poneyed up the huge $$$ for it.

It's the only one that is easy to read in full bright glaring sun.

you can also take a really power flashlight to the store to weed out the ones that really are not motorcycle GPS's. No Nuvi, tomtom, or Magellan GPS passed my test.

I hate paying more than $200.00 for any GPS, but I had to be able to read it no matter what and that was the only one that works for me.