IGNORED

My XM radio is on the fritz

I'm just venting here unless someone can give me some good advise!

I have the Garmin 550 with the GXM-30 puck for my XM needs. Everything was fine until I took the bike to the car wash last Saturday. I never spray water directly on the unit but it does get wet.

Now I get a message that says check your XM antenna and I get nothing. The weird thing is when I start the bike after a long downtime XM works. If I stop for gas and turn off the bike the XM antenna quits. :confused07:

If this keeps up, I'm getting on E-Bay for a replacement. :mad:

I have a brand new gxm 30 and a 2 - 3 month old zumo. I am having the same issue wiht mine. I thought maybe is was power thing with the cord or cradle since the xm will not work when zumo is on battery.

It is frustrating. Most of the time I can get mine to work again by tuning the bike off and back on. If a start the bike the the xm is not recognized usually turning the bike off and back on will fix it. Sometimes just powering the zumo down and back up is enogh to do it.

Remove the zumo from the mount and take an eraser to the contacts on the bottom. See if that helps. Also remove the xm from the zumo mount and see if any water got into that usb connector. Would not hurt to blow it out with some air.

Same thing happened to me after a serious downpour. The problem is where the antenna goes into the cradle. There is either water in there or the connection is not making good contact. I took the antenna connector out and blew the water out of the cradle with a can of air. Filled with dialectic grease and after blowing the air out of the connector too put it back together. Everything worked fine for about 3 months and it started happening again. This time it wasn't water but the connector wasn't making making good contact. I ended up putting a small piece of foam behind the elbow of the connector between the cradle and the connector. This for some reason allowed for a good connection once the GPS was put back in.

Hope this helps.