IGNORED

RSTD whine and tall windshields

jfoster

I've been blessed with an 06 RSTD with the traditional whine. Here's what I've noticed and maybe its been around and I got left out. I put the 21" clearview on for a week of riding and I began to notice halfway into the trip that the whining became very loud. After returning home I put my stock windshield on that has been cut down 4" and noticed that about 60% of the whine went away. Not that the windshield had anything mechanically to do with it but, I suppose the sound was echoing off the taller windshield. Maybe I'm crazy, but, it sure is alot quiter with the shorter windshield.

the less wind the louder the whine. you ought to ride my v-sar 1300 no whine. just sounds like a thrashing machine. my rstd had the ultmate chirp. just did'nt care. it ain't no mercedes. i was brougt up on cushmans and 305 hondas so to me anything i ride now is the cats meow. enjoy that bike and don't let someone you don't know screw around with it. bill :2133:

I've been blessed with an 06 RSTD with the traditional whine. Here's what I've noticed and maybe its been around and I got left out. I put the 21" clearview on for a week of riding and I began to notice halfway into the trip that the whining became very loud. After returning home I put my stock windshield on that has been cut down 4" and noticed that about 60% of the whine went away. Not that the windshield had anything mechanically to do with it but, I suppose the sound was echoing off the taller windshield. Maybe I'm crazy, but, it sure is alot quiter with the shorter windshield.

Then in this circumstance, I would suggest you ride with the shorter wind screen. Everybody needs to accustom to their bike. A set of BUB mufflers or similar would do the same thing.

:farmer:

Then in this circumstance, I would suggest you ride with the shorter wind screen. Everybody needs to accustom to their bike. A set of BUB mufflers or similar would do the same thing.

Or ear plugs.... :grandpa:

I'll stick to the "Turbo Waste Gate" explanation as I pull away from my Honda and Kawasaki buddies! My 05 RSTD is still way better looking than their bikes and I am now used to the sound. Of course the Nasty Boy pipes are gonna make a difference as well!

:cool10:

Someone asked me about the Whine

I said removing the windshield removes the whine

wasn't the answer he wanted.

:think:

I went for a 300 mile ride yesterday without the windshield.

Didn't notice the whine at all......

I did notice that my full face helmet's shield has a loud whistle when left up or even partially up.