I'm at my wits end. I haven't rode my 89 VR since last summer and yesterday went to sync the carbs after changing the plugs. I hooked up my Cartune II up and it read very low readings. I attempted to adjust carb #1 to #2 and got not reading. I need to know which way to turn the adjustment screw to at least close the throttle plate. I only attempted to adjust the one carb and couldn't so I quit before I screwed it up anymore The bike wont hold a constant idle, it goes up and down and when you rev up the engine it settles back down slowly. I did tighten up the clamps on the carb boots. I haven't tried spraying starting fluid to see if there is a vacuum leak. Any suggestions will be appreciated as I had to walk away before I got more frustrated. I did have stabilizer in the tank. One note is that I can feel the vacuum pulsing in the Carbtune lines and when I take out the restricters the rods bounce all over the place. I also cleaned the Carbtune rods as per the instuctions and it worked when I put vacuum to it with my Mitymite. Help please.

Dave

I'm at my wits end. I haven't rode my 89 VR since last summer and yesterday went to sync the carbs after changing the plugs. I hooked up my Cartune II up and it read very low readings. I attempted to adjust carb #1 to #2 and got not reading. I need to know which way to turn the adjustment screw to at least close the throttle plate. I only attempted to adjust the one carb and couldn't so I quit before I screwed it up anymore The bike wont hold a constant idle, it goes up and down and when you rev up the engine it settles back down slowly. I did tighten up the clamps on the carb boots. I haven't tried spraying starting fluid to see if there is a vacuum leak. Any suggestions will be appreciated as I had to walk away before I got more frustrated. I did have stabilizer in the tank. One note is that I can feel the vacuum pulsing in the Carbtune lines and when I take out the restricters the rods bounce all over the place. I also cleaned the Carbtune rods as per the instuctions and it worked when I put vacuum to it with my Mitymite. Help please.

Dave

My 1st question is have you cleaned the carbtune restrictors. If you have vacuum and the restrictors are stopped up, they won't read correctly(that's why I like my Mercury sticks).

Also, it sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere. You need to get the other stuff fixed before trying to sync, because it may make it worse.

RandyA

Try giving it a run first, clean out the old fuel, run through some new fuel with Seafoam or some kind of cleaner. When you got that done, drain the bowls (probably best before and after) then try the sync again.

If you are sure the CarbTune is clean, you can always turn the CarbTune upside down and it will work fine. You will be able to see the metal rods and synch the carbs. I still have to do this with mine.

I also had the idle issue and still have the "float down" issue to some degree, but has mostly disappeared.

I drained my tank, drained the float bowls, sucked straight seafoam through the fuel pump line and let it sit for a few days (drained bowls and repeated) and also used a very small small wire to clean out the pilot jets in the carbs. I think the pilot jet cleaning made the most immediate difference. I also ran a full can of seafoam with 1/2 tank of gas, then 1 can to full tank several times and now things run pretty normal.

My bike had sat for quite a while before I bought it and things were pretty gummed up.

Edited by WiVR