IGNORED

83' front brake problem

I have a brake fluid leak that I am having trouble stopping.

The fluid is coming from between the front caliper halves on the upper side when mounted on the bike.

I have been unable to find replacemnt seals for the two bolts that hold the two caliper halves togeather.

If you look at the picture you can see the area I am talking about.

This is the right side caliper that is NOT part of the unified braking system

I no one has ideas does anyone have a caliper for sale for an 83’.

Thanks

Steve

ffice:office" />:p>:p>

The fluid is coming from between the front caliper halves on the upper side when mounted on the bike.

:p>:p>

I have been unable to find replacemnt seals for the two bolts that hold the two caliper halves togeather.

If you look at the picture you can see the area I am talking about.

This is the right side caliper that is NOT part of the unified braking system

Thanks

Steve

They often are on e-bay fairly cheaply. The shop manual says that they can't be rebuilt and should never be split however I have done this in the past because I'm nosey and don't like being told I can't do something.

Dick

Thanks

Steve

Maybe try to find new seals at a Hydraulic supply shop. Of course the caliper will need to be split, for sizing & have the old ones with you too.

They often are on e-bay fairly cheaply. The shop manual says that they can't be rebuilt and should never be split however I have done this in the past because I'm nosey and don't like being told I can't do something.

Dick

Get one or a complete a set of calipers 1st, so far the supply has been good & they are usually cheap on ebay. I like to have a spare set to have for re-building, with as little downtime as possible & no pressure to rebuild as fast as possible to get back on the scoot.

I guess that's why the manual says to never split the casing. They are rebuildable and the parts are available from Yamaha, but because your's have been split I'd suggest...like everyone else.... to get another set off Ebay. The calipers have to come off an 83-85. 86-93 will not fit.