Another dumb question but i'm tired of searching online...

I'm still figuring all this stuff out about this new (to me) 84venture. I need a new tire. No bike shops in my town...blah blah blah...

SO: when shopping for a rear tire...What size should I be looking for and what should I expect to spend for the tire and install (on average).

thx y'all

a

Hey Andrew,

The stock size for the First Gens. on the rear is 140/90/16. You can't really go any wider on the rear because of the clearance between the drive shaft tube and the tire. I have seen the Kenda tires for $75.00 with free shipping alway up to $150.00 plus for a good Dunlop or Avon. It depends on the type of riding you do, one up or two up, pull a trailer, Carry lots of stuff in your luggage bags and how deep your pockets are. I run the Dunlops, I'm not much of a "Pegscrapper" so I like the wear of the Dunlops and the load range. The twisties guys swear by the Avons and I must admit they look really good on a First Gen. VR.

It's a personal decision, but at least you have the Tech. data you need. :thumbsup2:

Earl

He's right on that. There just isn't any room to spare under there.

Me.....I like the Avon Venoms. Had mine for about 9,000 miles now and still looking great. I ride a bit on the aggressive side so I like a tire that is sticky. They do real well in the rain and on wet roads also. The folk that don't like them seem to be straight line guys that wear out the the middle first.

As far as cost for mounting.....man that's a toss up. Some places here won't even talk to you unless you buy the tires from them. If the old one is still on the bike it might run a $150.00 or better at some places to r & r. If you pull the wheel off yourself... well worth learning to do....... it might be $30.00 at some and $60.. or more at others.

Best to talk you some local riders and find out who they deal with then make some calls and ask around.

You walk into a shop that wants your business and you have a new tire in one hand and the wheel in the other they should be happy to mount you up for a reasonable rate. If they do the mount make sure they do a balance to. Most will not charge for that if they mount them.

Edited by Snaggletooth

He's right on that. There just isn't any room to spare under there.

Me.....I like the Avon Venoms. Had mine for about 9,000 miles now and still looking great. I ride a bit on the aggressive side so I like a tire that is sticky. They do real well in the rain and on wet roads also. The folk that don't like them seem to be straight line guys that wear out the the middle first.

As far as cost for mounting.....man that's a toss up. Some places here won't even talk to you unless you buy the tires from them. If the old one is still on the bike it might run a $150.00 or better at some places to r & r. If you pull the wheel off yourself... well worth learning to do....... it might be $30.00 at some and $60.. or more at others.

Best to talk you some local riders and find out who they deal with then make some calls and ask around.

You walk into a shop that wants your business and you have a new tire in one hand and the wheel in the other they should be happy to mount you up for a reasonable rate. If they do the mount make sure they do a balance to. Most will not charge for that if they mount them.

Appreciate the infor guys. That will help. I ride whichever mood strikes me at the time. Sometimes two up on long rides. However, i'm not riding much right now on this old baldie dunlop. I may try taking the wheel off myself but don't know if I trust myself that much.

Thank both of you for your help. this is my first dresser of any kind and its a whole new animal.

Andrew

Another dumb question but i'm tired of searching online...

I'm still figuring all this stuff out about this new (to me) 84venture. I need a new tire. No bike shops in my town...blah blah blah...

SO: when shopping for a rear tire...What size should I be looking for and what should I expect to spend for the tire and install (on average).

thx y'all

a

I had the avons on my 87VR last year and just put on dunlop E3s on about 1200 miles ago and i like them better than the avons i had on it . I ride straight line and twisty roads about the same amount of miles and the E3s work good in the rain and dry , i will buy them again when i wear this set out.

I had the avons on my 87VR last year and just put on dunlop E3s on about 1200 miles ago and i like them better than the avons i had on it . I ride straight line and twisty roads about the same amount of miles and the E3s work good in the rain and dry ' date=' i will buy them again when i wear this set out.[/quote']

I just priced some dunlops and i think thats what i'll do.

I had the avons on my 87VR last year and just put on dunlop E3s on about 1200 miles ago and i like them better than the avons i had on it . I ride straight line and twisty roads about the same amount of miles and the E3s work good in the rain and dry ' date=' i will buy them again when i wear this set out.[/quote']

Ditto on this as I like my Elite 3"s better than I did the Avons. This would be a good time to pull the wheels yourself and check the bearings and pull the rearend and grease the driveshaft splines on both ends. This is MUST DO if you don't know when it was done last. It is not hard, just a bit of work. When you pull the axles, make a note of where any spacers are before you take everything apart.

Any questions, just let us know.

RandyA

Ditto on this as I like my Elite 3"s better than I did the Avons. This would be a good time to pull the wheels yourself and check the bearings and pull the rearend and grease the driveshaft splines on both ends. This is MUST DO if you don't know when it was done last. It is not hard, just a bit of work. When you pull the axles, make a note of where any spacers are before you take everything apart.

Any questions, just let us know.

RandyA

Oh , i'll have questions....count on that. If I don't do this myself, I will make sure the shop does that. Maybe they'll let me watch and learn. who knows.

thanks bunches!!!

Note: most shops have never touched one of these bikes. if they get the spacers in wrong it will damage the bike. Pay close attention to how easy the bike moves forward and back by pushing it in neutral, and how the brakes feel to you. When you get the bike back if it does not feel identical they messed up the spacers and you need them to pull the rear tire and reassemble it again. Not getting the spacers in right will mis-adjust the tire and the rear caliper will rub on the disk causing caliper and disc destruction.

Note: most shops have never touched one of these bikes. if they get the spacers in wrong it will damage the bike. Pay close attention to how easy the bike moves forward and back by pushing it in neutral, and how the brakes feel to you. When you get the bike back if it does not feel identical they messed up the spacers and you need them to pull the rear tire and reassemble it again. Not getting the spacers in right will mis-adjust the tire and the rear caliper will rub on the disk causing caliper and disc destruction.

Good idea. I'm printing all this stuff out so I will remember. thanks

• 1 year later...
Hey Stan,

That tire will not fit a First Gen. Not because it won't fit on the rim, but because it will rub on the drive shaft tube. A good deal is not a good deal unless you want a tire swing in your front yard,

Sorry,

Earl

Not so fast. I have seen a 150/80-16 easily fit. Yes, it was a Shinko touring tire. But it fit. This particualr '88 had the bags removed. So I looked carefully while talking to the owner who had about a thousands miles on the tire. NO rubbing issues. It's a profile issue. Some tires don't "flare out" at the edges as much as others. After 33 years of riding, I personally don't like most Dunlops. Especially the 401. Many H-D riders prefer the 402. They say it's made better. I do not know the diifference. Possibly more load capable. If you want a list of reasons why I don't generally like Dunlops, you'd fall asleep...? Usually aggressive riders like myself appreciate the sharp handling of Avons. Yet, they are very stable going strait at 110 or so.:D... if your bike has been properly maintained.

Edited by jasonm.

Hey Jason,

There is a mod that is done between the final drive and the rear tire to shift it to the right that will allow a wider tire to be placed on the stock rim, but without this mod, the tire mentioned (150) will not fit on his First Gen. VR. Without seeing your friend's bike AND removing the final drive to check for the mod, there is no way to tell if the rim has been shifted or not. Just an FYI.

Earl