IGNORED

Shinko front tire on 88 VR

Last week I installed a Shinko 230 Tour Master front tire, V-rated, on my 1988 Venture Royale. I ordered it from Motorcycle Superstore, at a good price -- less than $70 including shipping.

I went on a 200-mile ride on lots of "invisible roads" with twisties, straight sections, and a short section of high-speed interstate. All roads were dry.

Excellent response from this tire, rather quiet -- much quieter than the Continental it replaced. No problems of any kind.

Still to report: How it handles on wet roads, and how long it will last. If the tire passes these two tests, then it's a helluva bargain.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

• 2 weeks later...

After 600 miles on the Shinko front tire, stock size 120/90-18, I've managed to ride in the rain (had to happen sooner or later), and also on a long metal-grate bridge. No problems at all with the tire. Well behaved in both instances. Let's put it this way: I didn't think about whether the tire was working or not -- it was just working.

If I get 10,000 or so miles out of this tire, while it continues to perform as well as it does, then it's a heck of a bargain. I got it at Motorcycle Superstore.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/VentureJuly093.jpg?t=1246475885http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/VentureJuly096.jpg?t=1246476059http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/gssuzukiguy/VentureJuly094.jpg?t=1246476171

Squidley, go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6187/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Front-Tire.aspx .

$58.99 for the 120/90-18 front tire, plus shipping. I forget how much shipping was, but it was quite reasonable. Unfortunately, Shinko does not have a rear tire for our 1st-generation Ventures; no 140/90-16. My rear tire is a Michelin Commander, which I got some place else.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

• 2 months later...
Squidley, go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6187/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Front-Tire.aspx .

$58.99 for the 120/90-18 front tire, plus shipping. I forget how much shipping was, but it was quite reasonable. Unfortunately, Shinko does not have a rear tire for our 1st-generation Ventures; no 140/90-16. My rear tire is a Michelin Commander, which I got some place else.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Here's the rear Shinko Tourmaster 230 link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

I'll be trying this rear tire as well on my 83 VR. I have a set on my 87 zl1000 and they perform very nice. Straight line traction and dragstrip launches on the big zl don't even require a burnout anymore!:thumbsup2:

Here's the rear Shinko Tourmaster 230 link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

I'll be trying this rear tire as well on my 83 VR. I have a set on my 87 zl1000 and they perform very nice. Straight line traction and dragstrip launches on the big zl don't even require a burnout anymore!:thumbsup2:

Thank you, zlMark. $70 for that rear tire is a good price. I'm sure it will work great on your 83 VR.

The big question is still longevity. How many miles of service the Shinko will give, without resorting to "squaring out" or plain wearing out -- we'll all have to see about that.

In the meantime, I have over 3,000 miles on my front Shinko, and so far so good.

Size is not everything. Did you check the weight rating? look on the sidewall. These Ventures need a high rating "load C" I believe. Somewhere around 800# front and 950# back. Usually sport "V" rated tires are not "high load" rated. I know my Avons are 6 ply tires,,,high load.

Thank you for your concern, jasonm., but the last thing I want to do is get in a silly little argument with you here.

I'm trying the Shinko for the following reasons:

1. I'm a cheap SOB, and I want to save money.

2. The tire was cheap.

3. The tire fits well.

4. The tire has 3,000 safe miles on the Venture, with no handling problems, and they stick well enough on wet surfaces, grated bridges, grooves, etc.

5. I'm a cheap SOB, and I want to save money.

I check tire pressure very often, and they hold pressure pretty well.

So go ahead and run your overpriced Avons; I'm a cheap SOB. What I'm after is value for the money. If I can get 10,000 safe miles out of this front tire, riding the way I do (pretty hard by comparison to other "touring bike" riders), then I'm happy.

I'm not concerned about the load rating, because there's plenty in reserve, even with front braking (and I do use, rather heavily, the front brake).

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Thank you for your concern. Allow me to choose to ignore your advice. :)

Edited by Ndiaz

Size is not everything. Did you check the weight rating? look on the sidewall. These Ventures need a high rating "load C" I believe. Somewhere around 800# front and 950# back. Usually sport "V" rated tires are not "high load" rated. I know my Avons are 6 ply tires,,,high load.
Just checked the 150/90-V15 Shinko 230 Tourmaster on the back of my zl1000. It says load range B 992#. I assume the 140/90-V16 would be similiar?? At any rate i will run the Shinko and save a few $$

Just got back from a 1763 mile ride thru MO/IL/IN/MI/WI and about six hours of the ride was in the rain. My Shinko from the same store mentioned above performed flawlessly. I have a new AVON on the rear (both mounted the same day by my motorcycle shop). Water was no issue. Side note: my old Dunlop's gave my bike a very stable feel, almost heavy feel. The new Shinko/Avon duo makes it feel like I am on razorblades. And I am now looking around for a possible answer for why the bike wants to slowly 'wobble' when I get above 75 or so, which I did not notice with the old Dunlops. But so far, two thumbs up on the new tires. They worked well for me in the rain.

Just got back from a 1763 mile ride thru MO/IL/IN/MI/WI and about six hours of the ride was in the rain. My Shinko from the same store mentioned above performed flawlessly. I have a new AVON on the rear (both mounted the same day by my motorcycle shop). Water was no issue. Side note: my old Dunlop's gave my bike a very stable feel, almost heavy feel. The new Shinko/Avon duo makes it feel like I am on razorblades. And I am now looking around for a possible answer for why the bike wants to slowly 'wobble' when I get above 75 or so, which I did not notice with the old Dunlops. But so far, two thumbs up on the new tires. They worked well for me in the rain.
Wobble or hop? If you crank it up to 90mph does it hop real bad?

Nope - no hop. The tires really do feel well balanced and I cannot detect any "tire vibration" - seem real smooth. My issue is a slow back and forth meandering, or weaving, of the bike. I posted this issue in another forum, as I believe this thread was pointed toward the Shinko tire.

I bought Front and Rear Shinkos from the Superstore mentioned above for my 2nd gen. Pair $130.00 Delivered.

I now have about 700 miles on them and I am very pleased. They handle very well.. They don't track the grooves... they are quiet.

Next is to see how they hold up over the long haul. For the money they will be tough to beat.

I purchased a set of the Tour masters also and have about 4K on the '89 with them. So far I can't complain about them at all. As mentioned they are quiet and handle very well, I pushed them fairly hard solo when we were in Arkansas on some of the twisties there and never once did they slip. The tread depth looks real good with 4k on them and so far I have found no faults. I haven't ridden them in a prolonged rain, but did get deluged on the way to NC for about 20 minutes and I just slowed my speed down, they didn't give me any problems.

I am a diehard Avon man, I have run them on every Venture I have owned and love them. But I wanted to compare these tires and see what they are all about. I have run all the major brands, Dunlop, Michelin, Metzler and Avons, some I have been happy with, others not so much. Depending upon how long these last, performance wise they seem to be very compareable with all the others that cost, well, twice as much. The B load rating on them has an 805 lb max weight. Unless your really going to load the bike down, you shouldn't have any issues, just keep the tire fully inflated.

Would I but another set, we'll see how long they wear, but until then I am pretty please with the results I have got so far

:happy34:

A bunch of us at XS11 haved started running the Shinkos, and have had decent success. They are a good all around tire, and have medium wear characteristics. But for less than $100 shipped per pair (on the xs11) buying two sets a year isn't all that bad.

Unless the commander in chief's chinese tire embargo has taken them out of the market, I will run them again.