IGNORED

getting louder?

My 07 is just over 3000 miles and it seem over the last two weeks the bike is getting louder.. I have had to turn up the volumn on the stereo up two numbers.. It sounds mostly like exhaust tone,, I haven't put a wrench on the exhaust collars but they seem tight.

Is this normal?

My 07 is just over 3000 miles and it seem over the last two weeks the bike is getting louder.. I have had to turn up the volumn on the stereo up two numbers.. It sounds mostly like exhaust tone,, I haven't put a wrench on the exhaust collars but they seem tight.

Is this normal?

I haven't had a new one but I've changed pipes on a few and they do increase a bit over time as things build up in them and, I guess, make it through faster?

I noticed when I got my RSMV 2006 last year after awhile it did get a little louder. But I noticed in the past couple of weeks a fume smell and a bit louder. Did some investigation and both my "Y" pipes are cracked. You may want to check those. The dealer has a set on order for me.

Keith

I noticed when I got my RSMV 2006 last year after awhile it did get a little louder. But I noticed in the past couple of weeks a fume smell and a bit louder. Did some investigation and both my "Y" pipes are cracked. You may want to check those. The dealer has a set on order for me.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Fume as in gas smell? Exactly where are they cracked. Recently on my 07, I've been smelling gas fumes and cannot figure out where it is coming from.

Cheers,

Leonard

Keith

Keith,

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any pictures of where your "Y" pipes are cracked?

I can't see where they are cracked...maybe cracked is the wrong term....from what I gather the weld is bad in the area where the front and rear pipes meet. On mine it was easy enough to feel when you put your fingers up behind the "Y". I'm getting a gas/fume smell mostly on acceleration.

When they replace mine I will get some pic's if possible (next week hopefully).

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my bike from the shop. I had it in to get both "Y" pipes replaced but the RH one came in damaged. This is a pic of where the LH was leaking....nothing visible in the way of a crack but must be because of a bad crimp. The RH seems to be the worst of the 2, I'll post a pic when that one is replaced.

Keith

• 1 year later...

I will be spending the weekend checking my pipes for leaks since my girlfriend has complained about fumes! The previous owner put on Bub pipes and I think that would void any warranty I have on my 2005 RSTD?

I have never messed with pipes and could use some pointers?

I need to replace the exhaust gaskets?

I need to replace the muffler gaskets?

Apply JD Weld? to any cracked joints or seems?

Anything else?

Thanks everyone!

KeithR's picture is perfect - the problem is very common, and it is a bad crimp. Generally there is a bad crimp on both the top and bottom of the tube. Most bikes with the problem will show a gray film from the exhaust fumes on the chrome heat shields near the Y joint. This film wipes right off, so you need to look for it before you wash the bike.

Most of us don't smell any fumes from that leak (especially if you have a vent in your windshield), but it will contribute to some exhaust popping by allowing fresh air to get sucked into the pipe.

If your bike is under 5 years old, Yamahaha will replace them for free, generally without argument. If out of warranty, you can pull the pipe and plug the crimps with either JB Weld or a high-temp RTV.

Putting on after-market pipes will have no effect on warranty coverage for a defective part.

As for the original question of the RSV getting louder with time - personally I did not notice it, nor can I think of any possibility that would really cause that if the bike is still stock. The mufflers do not have any packing material that could blow out, so if they are not damaged there is no way they could make a different sound. I would suspect a change in the speaker positioning in the helmet instead of an increase in noise from the bike.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well the dealership looked my bike over and $40 later determined that my pipes were not leaking! They suggested the windshield is creating a pocket right behind me that the exhaust, out of the ends of the pipes, might be circulating up around my girlfriend. Im 6'2" my girlfriend is 5'2" so this does make some sense to me. She is the only one that smells anything and I am smart enough (just barely) not to discount her!

The dealership suggested that I try riding around without the windshield or that I cut and lower the windshield. That does not appeal to me since I see over the top of my windshield at just the right height. My brother suggested I extend the tail pipes. Since the chrome at the cone of my bub pipes is delaminating this suggestion has an appeal to me. My Walmart actually is carrying some chrome cone ends for motorcycles!

What do you all suggest?

I can say for a fact that the windshield does trap exhaust fumes , especially following a diesel . I have the XXL Clearview (no vent) and it catches the fumes extremely bad . I have also noticed that it echoes noise more so than smaller windshield too . If you listen closely while driving over different road surfaces , tire noise can be picked up louder than other road surfaces . With my Baron 4-2-4's , my volume is normally set at 15 to 19 , depending on how loud I want to Rock Out !

BEER30