IGNORED

84 venture running rough

Hello fellow riders, hope everyone doing fine. Just wondering if anyone could help me out. This is the problem took bike to work one day and I had to stay overnite, during that evening there was a heavy rain storm. So the next morning got bike started and drove off. then the problem started. First I noticed that the tach does not register until I really goose the gas, it seemed when I slowed down the bike would run rough and almost stall. Ran fine when it reached 55mph or better. If anyone could guide me so I can get riding again thank.

For me it was my TCI unit the plugins were getting wet causing all the trouble,I clean the connections and put on some white electrial grease what ever you call it sorry I tired today.Its is bolted on the bottom side of the battery box.

Buddy

Buddy is most likely right! It's the usual source for the problem you describe. The TCI drives the tach. Get the insides wet and there's problems. Take it out, take the cover off, and either sun dry or liw temp oven bake the ubit with the cover off. You also need to thoroughly clean off the contacts on the unit and the connector and use some dielectric grease on the contacts to repel moisture. If you are brave and have the skills, you may want to resolder the pins of the connector on the PC board as with vibration and age, the solder connection breaks down...

Dielectric grease ! Thats the name I could not get,my mind shuts down when I leave work.So when Peg talks to me I say HUH?

Thanks Bongobobny

Buddy is most likely right! It's the usual source for the problem you describe. The TCI drives the tach. Get the insides wet and there's problems. Take it out, take the cover off, and either sun dry or liw temp oven bake the ubit with the cover off. You also need to thoroughly clean off the contacts on the unit and the connector and use some dielectric grease on the contacts to repel moisture. If you are brave and have the skills, you may want to resolder the pins of the connector on the PC board as with vibration and age, the solder connection breaks down...

nope there all the same , after you get the tci out put it on top of your air box , it will stay dryer and if dos get wet it will be easyer to get out .

There is one that it not the same...that's the one for the '83. Best to go for a '84 to '89 TCI. '90 to '93 was different, they are digital.