IGNORED

I lost a bolt - Help ?

Hummingbird

Leave it up to me..... After the thread the other day about loose bolts I put my '07' up on the stand and started cleaning and tightening. When I got around to the front fender left side front I find nothing but a hole and a few scratch marks where the fender has been bouncing.

If anybody has a bolt - I'd be more than happy to buy it 'cause I'm sure the local dealer will have to order it and that'll mean a 2 or 3 week interval and a lot more scratches :bang head:

Yeppers. Ace is the place! I've replaced almost every bolt, screw and nut I've taken off the bike during repairs from the selection there. SS, chrome, or hardened in about any kind of head you would want. They have a huge metric selection at the store I go to.

Found a couple bolts at TSC - Wife & I met DIL at Wendys in Ravenna Oh. for GC transfer. We will have gs for several days. Across the street from Wendys was a TSC so I tried it They had the right size bolt but not ss. I bought 2 of them ( $2.11 ) and just now put them in. I kept the good ss bolt so when I find an ACE hardware I can match it up.

THANKS guys - as usual you guys are always here to help.

when you don't live in a metropolis area, I guess you have to take whatever the vendors stock. I'm not complaining because we love this small town atmosphere but we do get the hind teat occasionally.

Back to the missing metric ss bolt - Ace, lowes nor a fleet supplier had the right bolt. I TOTALLY forgot about Zeigler Bolts. They are a wholesale only outlet, however --- One short call later and Lisa said we have them in stock - 'how many do you want?' I was ashamed to admit I only needed 1 so I blurted out 4 in anticipation of a hang up. She OK - tell them at the counter Lisa said they are a quarter each. Darned near dropped the phone.

Today I combined the trip to Zeiglers with a trip to Menards in the bid city, hooked up my GPS and headed out:smile5:

Point is - Hopefully you have a Zeiglers near enough to you to use their expansive inventory :thumbsup:

Guest seuadr
when you don't live in a metropolis area, I guess you have to take whatever the vendors stock. I'm not complaining because we love this small town atmosphere but we do get the hind teat occasionally.

Back to the missing metric ss bolt - Ace, lowes nor a fleet supplier had the right bolt. I TOTALLY forgot about Zeigler Bolts. They are a wholesale only outlet, however --- One short call later and Lisa said we have them in stock - 'how many do you want?' I was ashamed to admit I only needed 1 so I blurted out 4 in anticipation of a hang up. She OK - tell them at the counter Lisa said they are a quarter each. Darned near dropped the phone.

Today I combined the trip to Zeiglers with a trip to Menards in the bid city, hooked up my GPS and headed out:smile5:

Point is - Hopefully you have a Zeiglers near enough to you to use their expansive inventory :thumbsup:

you can also check your hometown hardware if you have one, i live in a small town too, but the hardware has rows and rows of fasteners.

google nut and bolt or screw as well.

i got a set of wheel bearings for my GS that way for 2.50 each, the dealership wanted 25 dollars for the pair. i just found the bearing type on the side, and then googled "bearings"

you can also check your hometown hardware if you have one, i live in a small town too, but the hardware has rows and rows of fasteners.

google nut and bolt or screw as well.

i got a set of wheel bearings for my GS that way for 2.50 each, the dealership wanted 25 dollars for the pair. i just found the bearing type on the side, and then googled "bearings"

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I thought a couple of points on bearings might be valuable since they were brought up.

I absolutely agree that you can find lots of stuff on the web, and even save lots of money on some good stuff. But there are a TON of cheap crappy Chinese bearings out there. Even some of the expensive ones will fall into that category, but ALL of the un-boxed and dirt cheap ones will let you down.

If you care about the application and how long they will last, stick with quality name brand bearings like SKF, NTN, Federal-Mogal or Timken. For example, an SKF bearing in my pool motor will last 15 - 20 years, but several discount bearings have died in less than 5 (and yes, they were rated for electric motors, which require a certain tollerance).

But if you go to a shop that specializes in bearings (or bolts, for that matter), you will always save bucks, even on the quality brands. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest seuadr
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I thought a couple of points on bearings might be valuable since they were brought up.

I absolutely agree that you can find lots of stuff on the web, and even save lots of money on some good stuff. But there are a TON of cheap crappy Chinese bearings out there. Even some of the expensive ones will fall into that category, but ALL of the un-boxed and dirt cheap ones will let you down.

If you care about the application and how long they will last, stick with quality name brand bearings like SKF, NTN, Federal-Mogal or Timken. For example, an SKF bearing in my pool motor will last 15 - 20 years, but several discount bearings have died in less than 5 (and yes, they were rated for electric motors, which require a certain tollerance).

But if you go to a shop that specializes in bearings (or bolts, for that matter), you will always save bucks, even on the quality brands. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

ya, the ones i got were SKF as well. they are actually the same dimensions and everything as the wheel bearings for the bike, but they have WAY heavier ratings, and a double dust shield. they were rated to 45,000 lbs.. i think they will be fine in the ole 450 pound GS :D :D

but ya, like goose says, support your local specialty guys, they know what they are doing and they will cut you a deal most of the time.