IGNORED

cleaning wiring harness connectors

Guest timshosvt

Guest timshosvt

Spare harness has oxidized connectors. I'd rather avoid another fire. What's the best contact cleaner to use on oxidized connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Guest timshosvt

Thanks Jeff,

I have some CRC contact cleaner and it didn't do much for the oxidation on the connectors. I think I remember GeorgeS saying something about CRC 26 being the best and I know mine isn't CRC 26.

Any ideas as to how to scrub em good?

Tim

CRC makes a good contact cleaner I know Napa has it around here

dont forget the Dielectric grease when you put it back together

Jeff

With a spare harness, I would start with WD-40, as it is a Degresser, spray all the plugs, let soak a couple hours, blow out with compressed air.

Then use the crc 2-26, and blow out with compressed air, and If really bad, you might have to do some hand work with small tools and light abbrassive of some type

Then check thru every wire at each plug with ohm meter, for a Zero ohm, dead short reading,

Guest timshosvt

I have a meter, but don't know how to use it. I checked a few items that took some heat when my bike caught on fire, such as the emergency stop switch and the only relay that survived (visually). Both were crispy and not functioning per the manual. My clutch switch made it, but has no insulation. I can't remember the resistance reading.

How would I check each connector?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

With a spare harness, I would start with WD-40, as it is a Degresser, spray all the plugs, let soak a couple hours, blow out with compressed air.

Then use the crc 2-26, and blow out with compressed air, and If really bad, you might have to do some hand work with small tools and light abbrassive of some type

Then check thru every wire at each plug with ohm meter, for a Zero ohm, dead short reading,

I only use sulphuric acid to neutralize the rust, after manually removing as much oxidation as possible 'mechanically' with a Dremmel-type tool.

Then rinse with water, dry with WD-40 [the fish oil & silicone in it displaces water].

Put together with dielectric grease, for waterproofing, & it should last forever.