IGNORED

New Guy, first post of many with carb questions

Hi everyone! I just aquired a beautiful 1986 Venture Royale 1300. The bike was my brothers and he stopped riding it a couple of years back. I'm in Georgia and the bike is currently still with him in Michigan. He just shipped me the carbs and I'm going to start going through them tomorrow. He replaced the diaphrams in it just recently and I guess didn't get the results he was looking for so he gave up.

I'm wondering if a rebuild kit is available or necessary? Also, I'm wondering the do's and donts here. I'm not a mechanic but am pretty good with things like this. A good buddy of mine is a master mechanic and I will be at his house with these carbs tomorrow to start going through them. I'm wondering however, what will NEED to be rerplaced and what can be foregone? My mechanic friend forgets I'm broke and will have me buying EVERYTHING new. I need to only replace what needs to be replaced. I'm on a tight budget. Should all gaskets and o rings be replaced? Needles? Jets? etc? Once I get them all done I'll be flying to Michigan to put them back on, sync them and "hopefully" have a great ride back home.

Any help or advice before I get started would be much appreciated. OH!!! I almost forgot. How do I know the diff between 1st gen and 2nd gen??

I'm sure I'll be reading and posting regular. I'm particular about this stuff and will want my new baby to be perfect!!! Thanks again in advance!!:banana:

There isn't a rebuild kit available for the carbs. For the most part folks just replace the diaphragms and clean the 'H' out of the jets with a good carb cleaner or Sea Foam. If your brother didn't get the results he was looking for it was probably due to plugged jets, but check the phrams anyway. I wouldn't go thru a complete dismantle. Draining the old fuel out of the tank and replacing the fuel filter should also be done. After the cleaning a carb sync is mandatory.... Good luck.

The air/fuel adjustment screws are just below and to the right of the diaphragm cover. They may have a plug over them if they have never been adjusted. Either way, before you remove them to clean them, put a penitrant oil on them to help them come loose. Before you try to move them, make sure you have a good screwdriver that fits snug. The slot can be damaged with a bad screwdriver.

You will need to take the carbs loose from the mount that holds them together. When you take off the fuel bowl, most of the time the gasket/o-ring will come loose without tearing apart. This is also what I have seen when taking the little manifold off that holds the pilot jet. The pilot jet and another jet are under rubber plugs. If you do not change any sync screws adjustments, you should be able to start the bike, but as condor said, a good carb sync is required.

Keep us posted and welcome aboard.

RandyA

How do I know the diff between 1st gen and 2nd gen??

An 86 is First Gen. All the bikes keeping up with you will be first gen. The little tiny ones in your mirrors are 2nd gens.:stirthepot:

(couldn't resist!)

In all seriousness though, the 1st gen is a sport tourer made from 83-93. Foot peg position is below the rider. The fairing is attached to the frame and does not move with the steering head.

The 2nd gen are the ones from 99 on. They are styled as a cruiser and sit lower. The foot position is more forward and the fairing is turns with the steering head.

The 1st gen is broken into the subgroups of MKI and MKII. The MKI first gens have the 1200 engine and removable luggage (years 83-85). The MKII first gens have the 1300 engine and fixed luggage (86-93)

Edited by MiCarl

An 86 is First Gen. All the bikes keeping up with you will be first gen. The little tiny ones in your mirrors are 2nd gens.:stirthepot:

(couldn't resist!)

In all seriousness though, the 1st gen is a sport tourer made from 83-93. Foot peg position is below the rider. The fairing is attached to the frame and does not move with the steering head.

The 2nd gen are the ones from 96 on. They are styled as a cruiser and sit lower. The foot position is more forward and the fairing is turns with the steering head.

The 1st gen is broken into the subgroups of MKI and MKII. The MKI first gens have the 1200 engine and removable luggage (years 83-85). The MKII first gens have the 1300 engine and fixed luggage (86-93)

Correction: There were no Ventures made after 93 until the first production year of the 2nd Gen (or RSV) which was in 1999.

Wow! Thank you so much guys! I certainly will keep you posted as my project comes along! Thanks for all the help, tips and info! I've attached a photo (I think) of my new baby. I didn't plan on getting a new bike anytime soon but when my bro said I could come get it for $500.00 I couldn't pass it up. I'm reading a ton of postes here to learn all I can as I've never owned a Venture before and like I said, I'm sure I'll have many questions. Anyone from Georgia? I'm up in the Buford area. Once I get her up and going... would love to schedule some rides!

take care!

Wow Jay, you really lucked out. That is a very nice looking 1st gen. You must have a real good brother. Looks like it has some sought after add-ons.

If you will look at the top of the page, you will see Venture History. That will give you some good information. The 2nd gen data is a bit boring and slow, but so are the bikes. :Laugh:

RandyA

There are many of us in Ga. and we have meet & eats on a monthly basis, these are mostly put together by Terry a.k.a. Blackjack we have several planned now so look for the post get your baby running and come out and ride.

Joel