IGNORED

Can't get the Drive hub Pins out???

I have the rear wheel off to install a Car tire on it and I thought I would grease the Hub pins while its off. However... I can't get them out.

They won't budge even a little. I've tried the dual Pry bar... Tried WD40 and a hammer...

Is there a trick I don't know? I soaked it down with WD40 before calling it a night. Hopefully tomorrow it will come loose.

I have the rear wheel off to install a Car tire on it and I thought I would grease the Hub pins while its off. However... I can't get them out.

They won't budge even a little. I've tried the dual Pry bar... Tried WD40 and a hammer...

Is there a trick I don't know? I soaked it down with WD40 before calling it a night. Hopefully tomorrow it will come loose.

There is a c-clip that you have to remove first.

Jack

I just got my 2002 RSV late last year and yesterday it was time to change the rear tire. Got it mounted and balanced. The splines looked like they had been greased fairly well but I thought I should check the pins on the drive hub.

I knew about the retainer clip and removed it. I had some significant difficulty removing the hub anyway. I am fairly certain this had never been dismantled because the pins were totally dry with a lot of surface rust. Took me over an hour to clean it up before reassembly.

Reminder to everyone - CHECK THE DRIVE PINS, every time the rear wheel is removed. Don't assume that because there is no clicking or other odd noises, everything is OK. (Mine didn't make any noise). Later today, I'm doing to pull the driveshaft and sincerely hope its condition is better than the pins!

I drained the oil in the rear hub and it was a bit dark but seemed reasonable. There was a small amount of material stuck to the magnetic drain plug (normal???) but this was very fine black material - no pieces or shavings.

Still have a couple of evenings worth of work before I get it back on the road.

Ross

I hope you are using Honda Moly60 grease or as recommended in a email reply from DuPont, Krytox® GPL 214 for motorcycle splines and drive pins. NOTE that GPL 214 is fortified with about 5% Molybdenum Disulphide for high pressure use while Honda Moly60 is 60%!!!!!!!!!!! GPL 214 costs about $32 for a 2 oz tube plus shipping where Honda Moly60 can be picked up at a Honda or Acuara CAR parts counter in a 3 Oz tube. Part# is 08734-0001 and retail is $9.58. but I have seen it as low as $6.85...

BTW the part is called a Clutch Hub in the parts manual. Part 9 on page F2 and the Circlip is part 13.

BE careful with part 12 the Seal, Hub Dust so you don't damage it.

I ALWAYS look at the parts diagram AND read and UNDERSTAND the procedure in the shop manual before attempting any dis-assembly.... then again as I am assembling so I don't have any "left over parts" when I am done.....

Also the manuals are FREE in pdf format from this site!!!!!!!!! click on the VRTech link on the left side of any page here at the forum.

That is good to know on my end. I've already put in close to 6K miles and my turn to remove the rear tire for a replacement is just around the corner. Does anyone have pics of this circlip installed on the hub?