IGNORED

CB issue - driver "push to talk"

BigBear

All;

Up until this week, I used the CB at least once a week.

Yesterday, I turned on the CB and pressed the "push to talk" button/switch. Anyway...nothing..Tried several times...still nothing...

Pulled into a parking lot, got off the bike, and pushed the passenger "push to talk"...worked as expected.

So it appears that the driver's CB talk switch is "broken"?

Short of taking the bike in for warranty work on the switch, is there anything else I should try?

The standard first step in addressing any of the issues related to the communcation module is to open the fairing and disconnect all the connectors to the comm control. Slather them with dielectric grease and re-seat them. It may be best to do them one at a time; however, they are color coded.

If that doesn't work, use that great warranty.

RR

Edited by RedRider

Most likely the switch contacts are dirty. A dealer would replace the switch. I on the other hand removed mine and shot some BowShield, even WD40, would do the job, into the switch.

After wondering if anyone heard me when pushing the PTT switch I took a ma meter, a iN914 signal diode, and a 12 inch length of wire, placing the wire near the antenna. This is a crude, cheap, field strength meter. When ever pushing the PTT the ma meter show some current flow.

I have the same problem with my 99 - long out of warranty:headache:

All suggested fixes did absolutely nothing so I ended up fabricating a new switch. I ran speaker wire connected to the passenger switch wiring under the rear seat. Used a Radio Shack momentary switch mounted under the left mirror stud. It works fine. :thumbsup2:

Is there a trick to opening the clam shell?

I've removed the screw that holds the two halves together. I'm afraid to use too much force to split the shell. Is there an easier way?

There are two screws on the backside of the clam shell. Losen the bottom first to rotate enough to miss the mirror bracket, and then remove both screws.

Had the same problem and decided to remove the switch and take a small file to the contact points and lo and behold it worked again,easy to do.

Ron:thumbsup:

Back in the days when we fix things down to the compont level, not the black box level, one would use a burnshing tool to clean relay, points, etc. etc. Files will work, but remove more than just the corroson; it also removes alot of the material as well greatly shorting the life span of the componet.

Resolved my PPT issue!

A little 600g wet/dry sandpaper, fold it in half, slide the paper between the contacts, press PTT lightly, and pull the paper back and forth a couple of times. Sprayed with contact cleaner to remove any residue...tested TX before reinstallation...SUCCESS!

All in all...pretty simple!!

Thanks all, for your help/suggestions!