IGNORED

changing collant on RSV

Guest curtismiller

Guest curtismiller

Like to do it myself.Read the instructions in the manuel and fainted.Said to remove everything but the sink.Is there a way I can just flush it and replace the coolant with less hassel.Collant is clean and leaving some in system will not bother me.Bike is 07 RSV Thanks in advance. Curtis

i myself just opened up the drain plug on the radiator. then used a wet/dry vacume to suck out the coolent in the reserve tank. i also removed the gas tank to unscrew the cap on the radiator to refill. put everting back together, started up the bike to heat the fuild up. took off the rt. side cover to check the fuild level after a couple of days.

don c.

Guest curtismiller

Thanks Don,I wonder if there is a way to flush the system with a garden hose with bike running.Like we do our cars.Then purge with distilled water and add the mixture.Would need to block the res and remove t stat.Might be easier to just do it like the book says.Looks to me the rad cap could have been placed elswhere.Maybe go back to my cushman eagle. curtis

I just pull the drain plug, then Rinse with hose at rad cap. let it run, drain again, and repeat this a couple times.

then add the correct amount of Antifreez 1 1/2 qts. then top off with distilled water.

Run engine, and top off the overflow tank the next day . Seems to work great.

Pull the right rear cylinder fin cover off ( 3 bolts ) there is a plug with a threaded hole in it,

its the same threads as the tip of a spark plug, just screw in a old spark plug and give it a pull. It should come out very easy. Open the drain on the bottom of the radiator and open the cap she's done. Push the plug back in ( the fake fin cover holds the plug in ) close the drain and fill.

Gary

Guest curtismiller

Gary,Why open just one cyl. plug.How about the other 3.Are you opening it to drain the cyl. or using it as a vent.curtis

• 2 weeks later...

This is really great information. I wouldn't have known this drain plug behind the 'fake' fins on the right rear cylinder. It sure makes it sound a lot easier now to drain.

The coolant replacement job is also on my task list. Perhaps when I hit 8K miles, I may as well change the spark plugs and do the coolant replacement at the same time. I just wonder how much coolant would come out just by pulling the radiator drain plug and right rear plug?

I have an '07 that I purchased last October '08 with 1 mile in the odo. Since it is close to 2 years, should I go ahead and replace the coolant? What is your take on this?

This is really great information. I wouldn't have known this drain plug behind the 'fake' fins on the right rear cylinder. It sure makes it sound a lot easier now to drain.

The coolant replacement job is also on my task list. Perhaps when I hit 8K miles, I may as well change the spark plugs and do the coolant replacement at the same time. I just wonder how much coolant would come out just by pulling the radiator drain plug and right rear plug?

I have an '07 that I purchased last October '08 with 1 mile in the odo. Since it is close to 2 years, should I go ahead and replace the coolant? What is your take on this?

There is a rubber plug behind each of the fake fin covers on each cylinder - you need to drain all four. There is nothing special about the right rear one.

Goose