IGNORED

Oil sight glass dirty

Hello from Ohio

Oil sight glass dirty, dealer said it's from wrong oil already replaced all clutch componets, unable to tell how much oil is in crankcase,is there any easy way to clean glass or do I have to replace it as dealer said,if so can it be reached through oil pan? Like my Dad said I'll never learn

Tom

takingsley@earthlink.net

I don't know if you can reach it or not.

One of the many uses for Seafoam is as oil additive. You can add some to the oil, run it for a little bit, let it sit overnight and see if it help breakdown the build up on the sight glass, then do an oil change.

Just a thought.

Dave

When I first bought the '83 the site glass was pretty dark...even after changing the oil. Now after periodic oil changes and 7-8,000 miles it's nice a clean. I thought about coming in from the back side to clean it. Forget it. The Sea Foam suggestion is also a good one.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I frankly have no idea how the "wrong oil" could have done that, so without really understanding what is on the sight glass, it is hard to suggest a fix. And I have never tried to access the sight glass, or even thought about it, so I can't help with cleaning it that way.

Here are a couple of suggestions, but please realize I have not done it myself, so I cannot either guarantee it will work, or even that there is not some slight risk to putting something other than engine oil in your crank case. I don't THINK any of these things will hurt a thing (as long as you do not start the engine until you get good oil back in there).

If the oil pan can be dropped without pulling the engine (remember, I haven't looked at it, so I don't know), then I'd just start that way. Should be easy to do, then just spray carb cleaner in there. But if you can't get the oil pan off, then you might consider a few more unlikely things:

I haven't even looked at the engine or oil pan to see if this is a viable option, but I'd at least explore the possibility of fishing a long WD-40 or carb cleaner plastic tube up through the oil drain plug and trying to liberally squirt a bunch of that stuff in the general direction of the sight glass.

You might also think about putting a gallon of WD-40, Seafoam, or other solvant based cleaner in there and rocking the bike side to side to let it wash over the glass. Might seem a little expensive, but way less than pulling the engine. And besides, I'd just drain the solvent into a clean oil drain pan and re-use it later.

Good luck getting it sorted out for low bucks!

Goose

We have that problem with the Suzuki Savage / LS650 / S40s as well... what was found out is if you have a dirty sight glass... run rotella 15w/40 white bottle... now im sure the 5w/40 synth will also help but little more expensive for this and fill / change every 500 / 600 miles till you see that gunk gone... usually about 3 changes will do... not sure on these beasts but hey thought i would share...:bighug: