IGNORED

Waterproofing a homemade enclosure.

Monsta

Harbor Freight 40X48 trailer.

I've made stake sides (with front and back) with rails for items that don't need to be protected from rain and for bulky stuff. They are removable so that I can pop on the enclosure I made today. It also fits into the stake holes where they are then secured by clevis pins with cotter pins on the back.

Anyway....I've made the enclosure out of 1x2 and some 1x3's and 1/4 plywood(ish) stuff. It is reasonable light but in no way water tight. Even with paint I fear that there may be long term water issues. But maybe I'm wrong...

Can I get by with primer and exterior grade paint?

Is there any type of rubber or something that I can put on the top and front? It's gotta be easy to work with and not too thick. Ideas?

I may end up putting diamond plate on the front but don't want to put it up top. I need to keep the weight down. As it is now I figure I've added about 40lbs with this enclosure.

The trailer will be garaged when not in use but we get some fairly heavy downpours here in the tropics and I need to make sure the trailer and the stuff inside will hold up to it when I'm on the road with it.

:)

I saw on a website somewhere (I think another trailer site) that someone used inexpensive thin plastic used in shower construction. Its available at Home Depot / Lowes for bathroom remodels. You also might try formica - its pretty durable and light weight.

Stu

Harbor Freight 40X48 trailer.

The trailer will be garaged when not in use but we get some fairly heavy downpours here in the tropics and I need to make sure the trailer and the stuff inside will hold up to it when I'm on the road with it.

:)

As long as the seams are water 'tight' I'd spray the 'H' out of it with Thompson's Water Seal instead of painting....

They make a rubberized spray paint used for under coating cages . Some of these under coatings are paintable . You can get them at your local hardware store . I used it as the paint base of the BEERCART even though it is fiberglassed . Fiberglass resin gel coat is another option .

Gene

I was going to suggest the truck bed liner too. I know it works well because there are plenty of cases where people take off the rubber roof on their RV when it springs a leak and replace it with a few coats of this and it works well. Not sure of what brands are better than others though. Good luck!