IGNORED

Dealer Tire Change

:detective:Well took the old gal in for her 8K service, and decided to replace the OEM tires, back one was getting that flat look and the tread was almost down to the wear indicators. It was like a last minute thought while i was there, and had to take what they had if i wanted to ride, this past weekend. Well i got the M880and will se for my self what happens. Anyway, i get home and park the bike, the 40 mile ride was really great bike handled a whol lot better. We after an Earlie morning No A/C service call I go around back to clean baby up for a ride and just happened to look at the front tire, to see what date code was on it, no biggie 2107 pretty new there, so im happy, then i take notice of a rotation arrow on the Rim, its pointing up, and the tire rotation is pointing down.... wheels turning in my head, like ok what isnt right here.... well the rim was put back on backwards... Needless to say i came unglued, and called the dealers service dept. . Now my feeling is Yamaha didnt go through the casting trouble for nothing, so it should be installed the right way with the arrow going in the forward direction of the bike. ... I was told it was ok, and that it was on there for speedo reasons, because that rim is used on other bikes. and that it was ok to ride like that. He couldnt change it because no mechanic was there to do that til tuesday. I was still leary and said there goes my weekend, or something like that, He then said hold on a second and it was like seconds and he was talking to some one, and when he came back he told me to bring the bike right up and they would change it. Now is there any concern with the rim? while in the show room i did go check out another Royal star, it was the Tour delux and the rim marking was in the right direction. Any thoughts.......

I had my tires changed today, and I watched the tech carefully mark the disk to make sure the rotation was appropriate when he removed the rim. I do not think he would have been so dilligent if rim rotation direction was not important.

There was a similar post a couple of months ago on this subject, and conflicts of opinions arose. I think it ended up with a tyre (or is that 'tire'?) expert saying the tyre should rotate in the direction indicated, so the overlap of the belts is correct. I suppose it's a bit like putting a sanding belt on a linisher the wrong way around. You'll soon catch something under the overlap and shred your sanding belt. Surely the wheel is designed to pull out, spin 180 degress and put back in?? I'd like to know.

Thats just it... No one can tell me if its right or wrong. The tire was in the right direction, it was the rim that wasnt. Was at one time a speedo cable tied into the front wheel, and thats why it is stamped on the rim... or is there another reason.

I do not "know" anything about this for sure, but I would not run that rim mounted backward. It may be designed to handle the braking forces differently in the forward direction or any number of other things that we do not know about, BUT, I do not believe they would have added that turn arrow to the mold just to get a laugh after a couple of bottles of sake. It is on there for a reason, and it is inexcusable for a shop to refuse to do the job correctly.

Make sure to tell the wife to sue the hell out of them for negligence and wrongful death if you happen to be killed in a motorcycle accident before they fix it. Won't help you none, but at least she'll make a bundle. Sorry to be so morbid about it, but I think it is potentially that serious, made even more egregious since the fix is so easy.

As for the lie that the wheel was used in other bikes - I can't believe that. The only thing more butt-ugly than these horrible wheels is the V-Max, and it does not use them! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thing is like most of you guys on here I'm a member of the PGR, and Being State Captain I tend to ride a lot, so i dont need any more head aches over some morons silly mistake. I think its about time for me to have a pow wow and come to Jesus meeting with the owner. This isnt the first screw up they have made. Do i like the bike, I love it, would I buy another one More then likely if they get Fuel Injection. Would this Dealer get the sale.............................. ROFLMAOPIMP................... they would have to come about 360* and make sure they are dead on track.