IGNORED

What oil do you use?

brscooter

Just kidding!

So, what kind of filter DO you use, Reaney?

Thanks,

Mike

Already stated in an earlier post. I use the ST line at Walmart. High quality filter at a great cost. I've read several studies and I have cut them apart. The St line is as good as any and better then most.

I started out with the Yamalube but the Honda dealer bought the Yamaha dealer and immediately raised the price a dollar so I went to the local oil warehouse and ordered 3 cases of Pennzoil 20/50 motorcycle oil. About the time that ran out I found a couple of cases of 10/40 Kawasaki oil at a surplus store and I am still working on using it up. I have never been comfortable with the oil change intervals that are recommended with the synthetic.

I have never been comfortable with the oil change intervals that are recommended with the synthetic.

I've used nothing but Mobile1 synthetic in my Roadstar. I've got 35,xxx miles on it, and it runs and shifts fantastic. I change oil usually between 5 and 7000 miles.

The Scotts oil filter I use in it has a small magnet inside it to catch all the metal. There is never anything but a super light dusting on it. Much better than I've seen on other bikes running dino oil and with magnetic drain plugs.

The Scotts oil filter I use in it has a small magnet inside it to catch all the metal. There is never anything but a super light dusting on it. Much better than I've seen on other bikes running dino oil and with magnetic drain plugs.

Wow......I did a little Googling around on your Scott's filter......and man, you BETTER love that thing at the price they want!

I guess after about 18 oil changes though..........it's pretty much paid for!!

True, they aren't cheap by any means, but they are GREAT filters.. I've been very happy with mine, and especially on the Roadstar where the filter sits directly behind the front tire, it's a nice piece of mind knowing nothing is going to fly up and damage the filter.

The only issue I have with the Scotts Performance Products Oil Filter is they state:

Passes ASTMF316 Test for 35 Microns

While the Purolater PureOne is rated at

ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns

and the EaO series of oil filters from Amsoil state:

ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns

IF you want CLEAN oil I would recommend the PureOne or EaO filters.....

On a side note, I worked on a RADAR that we filtered the cooling water down to 0.45 microns.... about what an Amsoil by-pass filter does, but there is not much room on a bike to mount one......

Edited by KiteSquid

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic 5W- 40 oil (Look for the blue jug)

http://www-static.shell.com/static/rotella-en/images/products/synth_cj4.jpg

The oil is about $20 for a one gallon bottle at Walley-World. GREAT protection at a great price. It has and OUTSTANDING additive package for wet clutch applications like our bikes.

On a side note, I use a Purolater Pure One filter (part number PL14612) which I get at Advance Auto Parts where I get a 10% military discount.

http://partsmart.boschwebservices.com/RB/NA/AUTO/AFTERMARKET/PARTSMART/PartSmartImages/PL14612.jpg

This it probably the best filtering filter on the market. Another filter would be the proper sized EAO series filter from Amsoil, but the price including shipping is in my experience higher.

DITTO on the oil....haven't tried the filter yet. :080402gudl_prv: