IGNORED

Radio Problems... Rain?

similost

My radio had been working fine with no problems... Then yesterday coming home from a trip it started to rain...

It still played, and I could adjust the volume, but I couldn't change the station, I couldn't select anything to adjust, and I couldn't change inputs... none of the buttons worked..

I did notice if I would turn the bike off for a few, I could change things after I turned the bike back on.. but only for a few.. then it would start acting up like I mentioned...

Any one ever seen this happen before? Want to find out all I can before I call the dealer.

I've been reading a few other posts. Appears some people have solved the problem by splitting the fairing, then disconnecting all the cables and using di-electric greas on them.... Also appears to be a connection under the seat.

I'm going to try this first.. I jsut HATE taking my stuff to the dealer if I don't need to. Mine is an 08 that I just bought a month ago..

I need to split the fairing anyway because I'm installing Polk speakers.. BUT.. funny it started with the rain...

Well, the rain probably had very little to do with this, but there are two common problems that are very similar to what you describe.

First, there is a design deficiency in the Radio/CB system that ONLY happens when using both together. The symptoms are quite similar to what you describe with one exception: When the audio system is set on any function except CB (but with the CB on) and you try to change the volume, you will see a "c" to the left of the volume level displayed; this indicates you are changing the CB volume instead of the radio/aux volume, and no other buttons work. Turning EITHER the radio or CB off then back on will solve that. I have never found a way to duplicate this problem on command - it just happens once in a while when the bike is started with both the radio and CB on - seems to be a timing problem in the circuits for when the power is supplied to both units at the same time. Occasionally I have it happen when quickly switching between raidio/CB/squelch numerous times to change levels. Play with the buttons too much and too fast and it will nut up!

If you have the problem when the CB is off, then it is very probably just bad pin contacts in the plug going to the control head. Many of us have had this, especially when the bike is fairly new. You need to split the fairing and reseat all the plugs in the rubber boots several times (that will cause the surface oxidation to be scrapped off the pins, making better contact. Then spread a little dielectric grease on all the pins before you put the plugs back together the last time. That will prevent the problem from happening again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've been reading a few other posts. Appears some people have solved the problem by splitting the fairing, then disconnecting all the cables and using di-electric greas on them....

That's what I did and it solved the problem. The connectors for the radio are the big black round ones but do the other connectors as well. Before putting the dielectric grease I sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner (you can get it from Radio Shack) then blow them out with compressed air (you can buy a small can of dry compressed air) just watch that you don't get any contact cleaner on the paint... I'm not sure if it will hurt but it's better to be safe.

Thank you much Goose... The CB is turned off. I've only turned it on one time, but do know for a fact it was off yesterday. I couldn't even get it to turn on. I was trying..

I have a feeling it is the connectors. I had one day when I would turn the forks, and I would get a pop like the radio cut off for a second, then back on.

Same story though, I can't make the stuff happen on demand.. just when it wants to... I'll be pulling the fairing in the next few nights... Thanks for the ideas.. I really don't want to send it to the dealer if it's something I can fix at no cost... try the easy stuff first.

I have no doubts it is the plugs - my 05 did this a fair amount the first winter (bought it in November and I ride every day all year). Seemed to happen most when it was extra cold. Dealer ordered a new radio for it, but before it came in I detected a few things that made me think it must be in the wires, just like you (turning the bars sometimes changed things). I solved the problem the way I described above and just told the shop to forget the new radio. 60,000 miles later that problem has never comeback. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I recall reading a review of three riders that rode a HD ultra, Honda Valkryie, and a RSV to Alaska and that during the trip in heavy rain the radio on the RSV stopped working but then started working again after it dried out. Oh ya the RSV came in just behind the HD in the review. The rides took issue with the tall windshield and handling of the RSV.

Edited by ken

Yeah.. I got issues with the tall windshield too.. it's gonna be replaced soon.. I'll still keep the tall for the winter though. Nice to keep the extra wind off you in the winter. I've got a tall and a short shield for my Roadie.. kinda the best of all things..

I also had same problem. Have a '07 and radio acted the exact same way. Since under warranty took it to the dealer. 1st time said it was a loose plug connection in the faring. Fix lasted 2 weeks, 2nd time same problem, back to the dealer, found more loose plugs and made fix. Afetr two days same problem, I' getting a little peaved and take the bike in for repair again. Mech. was able to find and isolate the problem. Bad grounding of the main plug to the radio. This is a multi pin plug that grounds by the outer metal case, that had a rubber boot that sheilds moister from the connection. Once they got the continious ground, I have not had any more issues. There is a service bulletion about loose plugs but nothing on the ground. Good Luck, I can't rider without my Tunes.