IGNORED

Mounting New Tires

Okaaay here is the question. After pricing tires with mounting, when I came out of shock I decided to order the tires (E-3's) on line. Now my queestion is do any of you folks in the Houston area know anyone who mounts the tires. I am going to get brave and take the wheels off myself, the links on the forums seem to suggest that it is possible even for a non-mechanic like myself. The best ptice I was quoted was $442.00, OUTRAGEOUS.

I have the tools and the Wheel balancer if you want to get together and do it... All you will need is some stick on weight... you can ride it out and ride it home... just let me know..

Kreg

Okaaay here is the question. After pricing tires with mounting, when I came out of shock I decided to order the tires (E-3's) on line. Now my queestion is do any of you folks in the Houston area know anyone who mounts the tires. I am going to get brave and take the wheels off myself, the links on the forums seem to suggest that it is possible even for a non-mechanic like myself. The best ptice I was quoted was $442.00, OUTRAGEOUS.

Good luck finding a place to change out the tire for you. Some places may, but at a very inflated price...

It's kind of like taking your own eggs to a diner and askink them to cook them for you. Shops make money off parts sales, very little off labor.

I worked for a small engine shop and refused to change a tire if someone brought their own in.. If they bought it from us, I'd charge $5 to put it on the rim..

You could always try changing them yourself.. It's really not hard. If you can get the wheel off, you are well over half way there..

Motorcycles Unlimited

Telephone: 281 444 0545

Tues. - Fri. 10 - 6:30, Sat. 9 - 6

Motorcycles Unlimited

1964 FM 1960 Rd. West

Houston, TX 77090

Tel: 281 444 0545

Fax: 281 444 0903

Hours: Tuesday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

http://www.motorcycles-unlimited.com/index.htm

This place did me a solid when I was working in Houston and they had me by the short hairs... Highly recommended... They won't rip you off on mounting tires. Tell them the Maineac ATM Guy sent ya..

$400 bucks...I can buy at least 3 Rear tires for that price.

krp41151, get all the basic tools that you may need to take of the tire...If you have the Carbon One jack adapter already, to me that is 50% of your worries solved. Dig into past threads in this forum for assistance. Lots of information to walk you through in terms of removing the rear tire and have someone mount and balance it.

Are you indicating the price just to mount and balance is $442, or is that inclusive of the price of the tires, as well? Please clarify...

By the way, what did you pay, including shipping, to get the tires to your front door?

TERRY

From the way I read it.. that's the price of the tires, removing the wheels, and mounting and balancing...

For all the work it takes to get the wheels on and off, and several hundred for tires, I would say that doesn't sound too far out of line considering the time in labor. Shops don't like to work for free... Time is money.

I took the tires off of my bike and a local car tire shop mounted and balanced my mail order tires for $8 each. I cant buy tire irons and a static balancer for that LOW price, not including the amount of effort is required on my part to use tire irons...

The shop let me stand and watch them in the shop while they worked. I verified the rotation of the tires on the rims before mounting and they were correct.

I inspected the wheel bearings, changed the gear oil in the rear end, swapped the rear pads around to get more wear out of them and greased the drive shaft splines with Honda Moly60 grease while I was at it.

Shop around!!!!!!!!!

Buy or borrow a bike lift, if you don't have one.