IGNORED

A Good Lesson, Lousy Outcome

BigG

Always practice what you preach.

Phoenix man killed in gun-safety demo

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.18.2009

A 26-year-old Phoenix man accidentally killed himself early Sunday while explaining gun safety to two Sierra Vista residents.

Samuel Benally Jr. was at an apartment on West Tacoma Street when he said guns should be kept unloaded because people could point them at their heads, said Sierra Vista police Sgt. Brett Mitchell.

Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said.

Benally was flown to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Mitchell said.

An investigation is ongoing, but police do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved, Mitchell said.

Kim Smith

Guns and stupidity well enough said, I have a friend who's son (an iraqi veteran) did basicly the same thing, only achohol was involved. Folks when you pick up a gun KEEP your wits about you please!!!! If you don't, it will give certain people a chance to talk and there are people who love you and will miss you!!

Edited by Arcs&Sparks
spelling

Violate the gun safety rules...good chance you will get hurt/killed if you do.

Never never point a firearm and anything you are not wlling to destroy. He must of wanted to destroy his head if he pointed it at his head.

Keep your finger off the trigger till you are ready to shoot. I do not think that guy was ready to shoot hisself in the head. Modern firearms that are in servicable condition do not go off by theirself. The trigger has to be pulled for it to shoot. Most modern servicable firearms will not fire if you drop them. Must pull the trigger for them to fire.

Know your target and what is beyond it. This means clearly and positively identify your target. Not shooting at shadows or outlines of what you think it your target. I do not think he thought of his head as a target.

Treat all firearms as if they were loaded. Treat them all this way whether loaded or not. You always win if you do this.

There is another one that says "always keep your gun unloaded". I do not agree with this one cause if you need a firearm...an unloaded gun is gonna get you killed. If you have small kids then do what you need to protect them...lock it up or something.

I had an unloaded gun with me and a guy jumped in the truck at a red light in New ORleans. He could have killed me before I got the gun loaded. Luckly he got out when the gun came out. Never again will that happen.

I could tell you some stories that I have witnessed involving LEO and firearms that would surprize most of you. Many of them do not know how to properly handle firearms. Not bashing LEO's just I guess I expect them to know how to handle firearms since they carry one for a living. They are supposed to be professionals with a gun so I expect it.

An unloaded gun gun is no better than a rock. Having said that, If you own a gun, learn about that gun how it can be made safe to store, In the case of home defense figure a way to make it easy to get to and how to be used without doing damage to the user. If your not willing to spent alittle time and energy leave the gun in the store. Common sense goes a long way with the ownership of guns!!!!!

When my dad gave me my first gun, a 22 rifle, he said never, never point a gun at anyone. He also said many people have been killed with an unloaded gun, so never point a gun, unloaded or loaded at anyone. A friend of mine violated this rule and almost shot me in the butt with his 22 rifle. I don't remember how old I was but I wasn't old enough to have a drivers license. I spent the night with my friend and I was laying face down on the bed in his room. He had a 22 rifle on a gun rack in the room. It was supposed to be unloaded. He took the gun off the rack and pointed it at my butt and was going to pull the trigger but for some reason didn't. When he started to put the gun back on the rack he pulled the bolt action back and a bullet was ejected from the chamber. It scared both of us. I have remembered what my dad said every since.

An unloaded gun gun is no better than a rock. Having said that, If you own a gun, learn about that gun how it can be made safe to store, In the case of home defense figure a way to make it easy to get to and how to be used without doing damage to the user. If your not willing to spent alittle time and energy leave the gun in the store. Common sense goes a long way with the ownership of guns!!!!!

"COMMON SENSE" is not that COMMON.....:canada::canada::canada: