IGNORED

NM, AZ - any laws I should know about?

Dave77459

I am leaving Sunday on a trip from Texas to AZ and the Grand Canyon. w00t!

I saw via another thread that some states have requirements for retroreflective material on helmets, and that got me wondering. Are there any laws in NM and AZ that I should be aware of?

Dave

No problem... I always look there before I go anywhere.. And yes I'm a member also..

To protect your riding rights everyone should be a member

I agree! The magazine is interesting too, as is the insurance discount. :)

I was going to warn you about speeding laws in areas you are not used to but then I noticed you are riding a 2nd Gen.

:whistling:

Didn't see that one coming! :255:

This brings up an interesting question for me...

I live in a state where no reflector is required on a helmet.. but often ride in a state that has a law for reflectors on the helmet..

I also have no pipe laws here, other than one has to be on the bike, and no noise limit.. THey don't even require it to be the original pipe.. just a pipe.. but other states have laws about that...

Or say there is no law for turn signal lights where I live, but there is in a neighboring state...

What do you think a cop will do in one of the other states?

I'm sure start writing?... however.... I've seen many cops in the other states while riding without reflectors, and with a LOUD pipe... never a problem.... so far..

Arizona is a great ride! Their roads are very well maintained and there is no helmet law. I forget how nice it is to ride without one until I cross into Arizona. Its nice to be able to just jump on the bike and ride!

This brings up an interesting question for me...

I live in a state where no reflector is required on a helmet.. but often ride in a state that has a law for reflectors on the helmet..

I also have no pipe laws here, other than one has to be on the bike, and no noise limit.. THey don't even require it to be the original pipe.. just a pipe.. but other states have laws about that...

Or say there is no law for turn signal lights where I live, but there is in a neighboring state...

What do you think a cop will do in one of the other states?

I'm sure start writing?... however.... I've seen many cops in the other states while riding without reflectors, and with a LOUD pipe... never a problem.... so far..

I dunno. Some police seem to prefer ticketing out-of-state vehicles. I suspect it boils down to how a particular officer feels on a particular day, and if he is looking to ticket you.

Greetings, I live in Portales NM. No helmet is required for adults. I have not heard of any restrictions on bikes. (noise, Lights etc) . Have a safe trip. bossman:thumbsup:

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=nm

Interestingly, you must have 1 mirror and turn signals. You must also have eye protection unless you have a fixed windshield.

I know some towns have strict noise ordinances. One that come to mind is Carefree, Az. I was reading an article about Az bike week having a field day with out of towners driving thru Carefree in particular. Might be wise to put your stock pipes on or at least pack them. :080402gudl_prv:

I have crossed the lower 48 many times and really gotta say, 1st worst for abuse of police authority is Nebraska (buddy got an 1100 dollar fine for not putting on the hat as we crossed into Omaha), Tennessee (visit the Dragon and you will see), California (just plain arrogant and last is my home state of Michigan - our small town police forces and courts are attrocious, truth means NOTHING - its all about money!!!

Other than those, including AZ and NM, man what a wonderful breath of fresh "legal" air!!! I REALLY use to enjoy Montana,,, go old Montana - what America used to be

'Puc