IGNORED

Lowering kit question

I just picked up a sweeeet 05 rs midnight venture but the man before me lowered the rear with a kit that relocated the caliper and dropped the bike almost 2 inches can I remove these parts and return the bike to stock height without purchasing more parts or is it just removing the added parts and reattaching the stock parts?? Also not sure if he lowered the front I have read on here that u can adjust the front down without parts how can I tell if this was done or how do I return it to stock height? I am 6'6" 34 inseam and need it brought up thanks for any help guys.....ride on

The Barons relocation kit has two main features.

1) Caliper relocation kit, to move the caliper out of the fender area. $$$

2) Different "dog bones" to actually lower the bike. $$

The Caliper relocation can stay where it is, unless you are wanting to sell the kit.

A secondary advantage it has is, at the rotated 4 o'clock position, you can view and replace your rear pads with out much effort. It does no harm staying on if you go back to stock height.

The dog bones (2) would be replaced with the originals,,,, if you have them.

Regardless of logic, they are actually about 3/4" SHORTER than the Barons dog bones.

I sat down and figured it out once but my mind hates negative logic.

I had a local fab shop manufacture a pair exactly half way between the two lengths.

I got mine just where I want it,,,, finally.

Someone does sell what they call "Leveling links",,, this is simply shorter dog bones which will actually raise you bike in the rear 1" above stock. If you do not have the stock dog bones, then, with you height, they maybe just what YOU want.

Again, removing the caliper relocation parts is not needed. But if do, you may be able to sell the kit, it sells new for $190 or so.

Regarding the front. I would check it's height against someone who knows they are still stock height. They could be lowered up to 1 1/2" either with or without "parts". Most people who drop them just loosen and drop. If they lowered the rear,,, 50/50 if they did the front.

Do you have the stock dog bones? If not, I have a set from when I lowered my bike and I have a friend who is wanting to lower his bike, of course he would need the caliper relocation kit also. You do not have to buy any parts to return the bike to stock.

On the front end, there are two ways to lower that. The way most of us do it is to slide the forks up through the tripple tree. Look at yours and see if the forks are even with the top of the tripple tree or if they extend above. You can also lower the front by replacing springs, etc inside the forks and it still looks stock. I don't know how you can tell if this has been done.

Anyway, if you need my stock dog bones let me know. Maybe we can work something out on your lowering kit.

thanks guys on the info I am gonna be taking it in to the dealer to check out the front height and as far as the rear I would be very interested in some kind of trade for the parts to put mine back to stock would be willing to trade out the caliper relocator as well if some one has the stock on let me know guys

I will get the "bones" in the mail tomorrow (Friday). The donation deal to keep the website working sounds like a winner to me.

Also, I found my stock caliper mounts, so if anyone needs the stock brake caliper mount let me know. I would rather someone use them than having it sitting on a shelf.

The Black Pearl

My friend Jerry in Amarillo just called and said you will have a lowering kit available soon.

He has been a great help to me and we have ridden together recently. Jerry is helping me lowering both the front and rear of my 2000 Venture Limited Edition. He said he and another friend are sending free parts your way.

I would like to use your lowering parts. I am 5'10" and lowering my bike would make it easier to control.

Please let me know what you want in return.

Here is my contact info:

Mike King

Portland, Texas

(Corpus Christi area)

361 946-0685

mikek120@mindspring.com

Thanks

Got the parts in the mail today, spent the weekend mounting and running the wires for my gps and xm radio love the input to run it direct used the thread in here to run a splitter on the back of the radio went pretty slick cant wait to get the rear end back to stock this weekend and picked up a led light bar for the trunk should be a fun weekend thanks for the parts guys i will get that donation in asap:cool10:

I'm not sure how old you are but you may regret putting it back to stock height. I'm 6'6" with a 34" inseam and have a hard time getting my leg over the bike. It's an 09 but I don't think there have been any changes. Maybe it's my age (55) I don't know but I'd ride it awhile with highway pegs mounted midway on the front engine guard. Makes a big difference. Now I can stretch out like a king.

:doh: