IGNORED

Max Weight question

I'm a pretty large guy (6'3", 305lbs) and my wife is a big girl and with us loaded for a weekend trip I know we are pretty well over the "max weight" of the bike as stated in the owners manuel.

What damage am I doing to the bike, and is there something that could break because of this that could potentialy cause an accident from mechanical failure.

And, is there anything I could do to strengthen the bike so I get as many problem free miles out of it as possible.

(BTW, I had over 55,000 miles on my Nomad, half of which were 2 up, with no (known) problems)

Actually I would say the biggest challenge would be with the tires then the shock itself or rather the seals in it.

I would make sure your tires are always at MAX cold pressure and pack as much as you can in a trailer. :)

I'm a pretty large guy (6'3", 305lbs) and my wife is a big girl and with us loaded for a weekend trip I know we are pretty well over the "max weight" of the bike as stated in the owners manuel.

What damage am I doing to the bike, and is there something that could break because of this that could potentialy cause an accident from mechanical failure.

And, is there anything I could do to strengthen the bike so I get as many problem free miles out of it as possible.

(BTW, I had over 55,000 miles on my Nomad, half of which were 2 up, with no (known) problems)

I'm big too, although my wife isn't, when we're loaded the bike used to say "get off.. get off" :hihi:

I'll almost guarantee the rear shock will leak oil on the floor of your garage within a year. Replace it with a Work Performance shock made to your own specs. It's wonderful. You can specify a weight for it to handle.

The OEM Dunlop tires will take it no problem. Just keep the pressure at max. The front can handle up to 761 lbs and the rear 827 lbs. I would advise upgrading when they wear out to either the Elite which is rated for 770 front and 910 rear. Another option is the Avon Venom which is higher again 827 front and 1016 rear.

Other than that... everything else will be fine.

I'd also suggest you keep everything you can in a trailer. Keep the weight off the bike as much as you can except for the two of you of course.

If your wife annoys you on a trip then you can put her in the trailer too...:ignore:

I really don't think you will have a problem but as stated keep a good watch on the tire pressure. You may also want to inflate the front shocks to max (7 psi) and the back shock 57 psi. It is very easy to do. Buy a GOOD "suspension" pump. Progressive suspension makes a good and accurate pump that won't let any air escape when removing it from the valve stem. I think the air in the shocks will really help with the added weight.

Steve

I am 102 Kilograms (224lbs) and my wife is 75 kilograms (165lbs). We tow a trailer on long trips and have our panniers & top box full. The bike still has its original shock absorber, there is 38 psi in the front tyre and 41 psi in the rear. 30 psi in the rear shock and none in the front. There is 72000 kilometres (44640 miles) on the clock. The bike handles beautifully and I have not had a single problem with the weight on the bike. My weight problem is another issue :)

I am 102 Kilograms (224lbs) and my wife is 75 kilograms (165lbs). We tow a trailer on long trips and have our panniers & top box full. The bike still has its original shock absorber, there is 38 psi in the front tyre and 41 psi in the rear. 30 psi in the rear shock and none in the front. There is 72000 kilometres (44640 miles) on the clock. The bike handles beautifully and I have not had a single problem with the weight on the bike. My weight problem is another issue :)

I weight as much as you and your wife put together.:(