Well, my '87 VR is back on the road. BUT one odd thing. I hear a tick from the water pump. It's almost a knock that sounds like if you took a handle of a screwdriver and tapped it against the engine. Can only hear it when on the right side of the bike. It's not the clutch basket rattle that high mileage units can develope. I used my mechanics stethoscope to confirm that it's most certainly is the water-pump. And pulling the clutch lever does not change the sound.. ALL parts in the pump are new including the impellar but not the plastic gear. As it looked to be fine. Yes, Carbs are sync'd. REMEMBER I have not had this on the road for over 2 years. So my memory of how it should sound is rather foggy. It makes this noise the same , cold or hot. I have an oil pressure gauge on the bike...pressure is fine. The sound is there and varies directly w/engine speed. I suspect it could be the pin for the plastic gear on the impellar shaft rocking due to the Ventures naturally uneven firing. BUT I am grasping at straws here. P.S. First time I did the water pump seals on this bike was 20 years ago. SO this is the second time. I even have the Yamaha tool to drive the mechanical seal in correctly. So I really do everything "by the book" Anyone have a firm possibility of the noise source before I disassemble. Or would I be wasting my time taking it apart again for just a noise. Anyone with a reply who has experienced this and if they fixed it or not would be appreciated ..Oh yes, I do see some other threads with info on this. And since syncing the carbs did not change this noise.....................help...

Edited by jasonm.

50 views and no replies...? Did I say something wrong? no one has input? Right now I have my coolant drained. I pulled the impellar cover. Impellar not touching the housing- good. I am still debating pulling the pump off.

Well, I did remove the impellar cover. Sound still there. So I have finally reoved the pump. Checked the bearing which was new 250 miles ago. Now I have reassembled and will live with as best as I can describe...the odd tick-tock sound... Yes it's simalar to the clutch basket sound but that's not it. Pullling in the clutch does not affect the pitch or loudness. Sync'd carbs. Idles like a swiss watch. But I have come accross another oddity since my carb rebuild. Look for another thread on this...Thanks

Jason....

Its been about 4 years since I had the water pump out on my 86. I'm trying to remember about the driven plastic gear.....can it only be installed one way or can it be flipped over so wear pattern doesn't match and may cause some noise.