I have just purchased one with 15k on it. It has the Jardine pipes. We just went to thunder beach and wow what a time. The bike on acceleration in all gears, until cruising, has a vibration on acceleration. I know it could be a hundred things, but is there a quick and dirty list I could check? I put new plugs in it.

Thanks for the help.

Does the bike vibrate in 1st gear when you twist the throttle? These bikes kinda' need to be accelerated in higher rpm's. You might try running the rpm's up higher before you shift and see if that makes any difference, also you might sync the carbs. Hope this helps.

You did not say what speed or gear you are in when you notice the vibrations. Remember that both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive. If you are tooling around in 5th gear at 50 or 60 mph and try to accelerate hard you going to get some vibrations, because the engine is being lugged down.

It may be that you need to do a carb synch, that often helps and out of synch carbs can cause engine vibrations.

You can not ride a Royal Star like a V-twin, they really like to stay up in the higher RPM ranges. If you don't believe me, try twisting the throttle real hard one time while you are in 3rd gear, just remember to shift some where around 90 mph.

ride safe, keep us posted.

Hey Duckhunter,

Check tire inflation, especially two up. Jerry nailed it with the Carb. Sync., that would be the first thing I would check. The "sweet spot" RPM wise on these motors is 3500 and above, if you are hauling two people around and are trying to pull away at 2200 RPMS, your gonna' "giggle" your brains out until you hit 3500 and up. My dad yousta' tell me, "ride it like you just robbed a bank"!:confused24: I do, and these machines love it!

Keep us posted what you find out,

Earl

I concur with Jerry. The older Royals are geared very high, higher than the RSV and newer Tour deluxe. I have a 97 RSTC and a 07 RSV. Try winding it out more. Don't even think about 5th gear till you hit 70mph. Good advice on the carb synch also.-Jack

Sounds like it may be the carbs. the bike sat up for neaarly two years before the guy got it from his aging dad. He only put about 200 miles on it in a 3 month period. I had to replace air filter (had rat nest in it!). Ran couple gallons of racing gas in it to help clean the carbs out somewhat.

So, if syncing the carbs was like my old 650 Arctic cat, it will be hell w/o a tool.

Thanks. Keep the info coming.