15 mins and counting 'ffore I need to get my rear back to work, so I'm asking instead of researching!

'83 VR in shop with brake pedal bottoming out. figured it needed bleeding. Saturday the brake was firm and working great, today when I came to P/U it was back where I started. shop thinks it may be bypassing the valve but cautioned that a rebuild may not solve the problem.

1. Will a valve rebuild solve the problem ( kit $90)

2. Would I be better off with a new master? (OEM $600) Alternatives?

3. Is a used one an option? Does someone have one?

4. Where do i get the rebuild kit (cheaper)?

5. Where do i get new SS lines? part #? $$?

Thanks, in advance! If I can figure out whichis the best way to go, maybe I'll have my bike back by the weekend!!

Yeah, I can ride the Shadow, what can i say, I'm spoiled!!

Barend,

Just finished rebuilding calipers and master cylinders on an 81 Goldwing, and one thing I learned is that bleeding brakes is a task in patience. I had the same problem, the fluid was by passing the m.c. valve.

I will tell you to either get a Mity Vac or speed bleeder valves. These will save your sanity and having to have another person to help. If you use the Mity Vac make sure you remove your bleeder valves and wrap teflon tape on the threads then reinstall to keep from sucking air. While bleeding your system keep adding fresh fluid (never use used fluid) until the system is flushed.

That being said, you can google search "Yamaha parts" and it will come up with many alternatives to dealership pricing. I saved half of what I would have paid at a Honda dealer around here. I still got OEM Honda parts but from a source in Michigan.

:thumbsup:

Hey Barend,

The linked brakes on these VRs can be pesky at times. Send Chris an email at Flatout Motorsports, Tell him you are an VR.Org member and he will fix you right up. Here's the link:

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/

This site lists the rear master cylinder rebuild kit for your 1983 VR

SKU: 26H-W0041-50-00

CYLINDER KIT, MASTER $52.85

SKU: 3DP-2583V-00-00

MASTER CYLINDER ASSY (26H-25850-50-00) $422.18

I got a Stainless Steel rear brake line from Line Pros. out of Canada $24.00 for any line, and if you buy more than one, they give you a discount. Plus shipping.

I would be looking at the Proportioning valve as well on that rear master cylinder, it could need a good cleaning. There is a very small hole in the bottom of the rear master that if clogged, will not let fluid return to the reservoir, check that as well.

Hope this helps,:080402gudl_prv:

Earl

'83 VR in shop with brake pedal bottoming out. figured it needed bleeding. Saturday the brake was firm and working great, today when I came to P/U it was back where I started. shop thinks it may be bypassing the valve but cautioned that a rebuild may not solve the problem.

Most likely air in the line, at the steering neck area. Also, it is a good idea to re-build the rear master cylinder. Flatout, usually has the best O.E.M. part prices.

The S.S. Braided line set from Buckeye includes all the flex lines for the bike + sealing washers, middle gear gasket & adds a bleeder at the steering neck area (the high point of the rear brake circuit). If you can afford to do it, go for it. You could possibly be saving yourself physical pain & recouperation time as a result.

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/p04.htm

Friesman1 now has the S.S. Braided lines on his bike & believes the line change, has made a huge improvement, in braking ability. All the pressure is applied to the calipers & not expanding the O.E.M. lines, resulting in caliper pressure loss.

I have no affiliation with Buckeye.

I am just a customer that, still kicks myself for not putting the S.S. Braided lines on the scoot much sooner. Had I put them on when I first saw them, my scoot possibly would not be nicknamed the "Deerhunter", for having a confirmed kill.

:2cents:

Picked the bike up and parked it in my shop. Brakes seem to be the same as what they were prior to me getting them bled, so i suppose i could run it with some serious defensive driving.

Earl, I appreciate the SKU and location on the rebuild kit. You say:" I got a Stainless Steel rear brake line from Line Pros. out of Canada $24.00 for any line", would you happen to have a more compete web addy for those guys?

Rocket, glad I was sitting when i saw the price on those SS puppies from Buckeye. I am sure they are worth it, just not sure my wallet can handle that right now. Ouch!!

For right now I will likely go with the rebuild and speed bleeders (thanks for the suggestion Sylvester) and add the SS in the (near) future.

Jimbob, the brake system (with the exception of the rear master) was rebuild last August. New pads, new rear rotor, calipers cleaned/rebuild, flushed, anti dive re-instated, etc. All $600 worth! Shop told me a the time that I may need to rebuild the master if things were spongy! Guess that time has come.