Hello Friends:

My brother and I are planning a trip to Maine this August via PA,NJ,NY,CT,MA,VT,NH,ME. Just wanted to know if there are any spots along the way that are a must see or visit. We will be gone around 8-9 days and hope that my new friends here on the web can give me some advice as to places to visit, ride suggestions, or anything else we should consider for this trip.

No such thing as a bad suggestion, we are always open to any and all ideas!

Thanks,

Steve

Up thru the Hudson river valley to Lake George is nice, then on to Lake Placid, take the ferry across Lake Champlain into Vermont then over to Mt Washington lots of great riding in that area, then across to Maine and Mt Desert Island, Cadillac Mtn, then down the coast. Lots to see, you will have a great time!! Craig

Steve,

Took that trip last year and loved it. Make sure you go up Mt. Washington in NH. Stay up near Bah' Hah'bah' (Bar Harbor for yous Midwesterners) and ride the loop around Arcadia Nat'l Park. And if you can, get up really early and watch the sun come up on Cadillac Mtn.

If you are heading down the east coast, stop at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast, ME for lunch. They prepare the best lobster roll you will ever have. Their fish chowder is absolutely premium.

When in VT, ride in the Green Mountain National Forest. At the intersection of hwy 100 and hwy 125 in Hancock, there is a little grocery store/deli that makes a mean deli sandwich for about $4. It is a piece of true Americana where they have on the aisle end display VT maple syrup right next to the ammo. Anyway, head west on 125 and then north on Lincoln Road near Ripton. Take that up to 17 and follow 17 across the mountain. It is a fabulous ride and an incredible view from the top.

In NH, you need to ride the Kancamagus Hwy (Hwy 112). It goes from Conway, NH to Lincoln, NH.

This link is to my ride report on AdvRiders.com about our trip. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363843

It may give you some additional ideas. There is a lot to see up there that we didn't have time for. Enjoy.

RR

Hello Friends:

My brother and I are planning a trip to Maine this August via PA,NJ,NY,CT,MA,VT,NH,ME. Just wanted to know if there are any spots along the way that are a must see or visit. We will be gone around 8-9 days and hope that my new friends here on the web can give me some advice as to places to visit, ride suggestions, or anything else we should consider for this trip.

No such thing as a bad suggestion, we are always open to any and all ideas!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

How ironic. I'm retiring at the end of July and taking a solo 30 day ride to the New England states from Va. Maybe we can hook up one day. I've already posted on here letting the guys know and I've already got several invites for a room or one day riding partners.

The Kangamagus Highway in NH. Then ride to the top of Mt. Washington. I did it 30 years ago and it was 3/4 dirt then..A humbling experience on a Triumph Daytone 500... Also, I have a brother who lives in Berwick, ME. He has a Vulcan 1600. I.m sure he could fill you in on a lot of places to go. PM me if you're interested in contacting him...

The Kangamagus Highway in NH. Then ride to the top of Mt. Washington. I did it 30 years ago and it was 3/4 dirt then..A humbling experience on a Triumph Daytone 500... Also, I have a brother who lives in Berwick, ME. He has a Vulcan 1600. I.m sure he could fill you in on a lot of places to go. PM me if you're interested in contacting him...

I second that! While you're there look up Hurricane Mountain Road. It's a short ride (2 mi) just off one end of the Kank, but so much fun when we ran it a couple of years ago we actually went back and forth on it again before we continued on our route. :happy34:

Folks:

Thanks for all of the great ideas. It is wonderful to be able to rely on such great advice and suggestions from folks that have "been there, done that". We try to take full advantage of each day of the trip and make the most of each ride. With suggestions like these, I can hardly wait to get loaded up and "RIDE"

Thanks a bunch and I am sure that as the trip nears I will do some PM'ing to get more details and make some more connections.

Thanks Alot,

Steve