IGNORED

How to adjust Kuryakyn Switchblades?

Dave77459

I just got my Kuryakyn Switchblade highway pegs. I like how adjustable they are, but there is one adjustment that I can't figure out: how do you stop them from spinning?

The actual foot platform spins like on bearings. When I extend the heel rest, it swings down to point towards the ground. I don't see how the heel rest could be of any use. The pegs themselves are less supportive, since the turn so readily.

Is there anyway to lock them in place at a particular angle?

What am I missing?

that should be the one

I tightened it quite tight, and it still spins freely. I recall now why I didn't try it earlier; it seems to be related to the rubber pads.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Dave77459

Dave

If you open the switchblade, there's another allen screw, a big one, deep in a hole that's partially covered by the rubber pad on the outside end of the peg. That's the one that tightens up on the adapter, and keeps them from turning.

Larry

Is it the peg spinning? Or the switchblade part? If it's just the switchblade part there is another small hex set screw on the bottom I think that keeps that from spinning. I can't remember where it's at, either on the bottom or the inside towards the mount, but i know that happened to Krome Roses when I was riding it down the road. Not very safe since it is her foot peg not highway pegs. I ended up having to tie wrap it up and buying a new set screw. If it's the peg then I would think you have the wrong peg adapters, and it's not allowing you to tighten all the way.

Guest Saddletramp

Be careful with those switchblades! I know of a local man who had one open up in the twisties and it lifted the front wheel enough to put him in the rubarb.

Thanks for the ideas (and for putting the scare in me LOL). Here are the installation instructions, for reference.

It looks like the Male Mount is the part that is spinning, circled in red in the photo below. I think I tightened the Footpeg Fastener, but I didn't really heave on it. Should I have to?

If the peg is spinning then you really do have to HONK on the bolt to tighten it. I used a hex key on a ratchet wrench to tighten the ones on my wifes bike.

The only reason to worry about the switch blade causing problems while riding is if you have them as pegs or your highway pegs are really low. My wifes bike has them as pegs on her Volusia which I have lowered 2 1/2 inches. She actually has the Flame Switch Blades.

If the peg is spinning then you really do have to HONK on the bolt to tighten it. I used a hex key on a ratchet wrench to tighten the ones on my wifes bike.

The only reason to worry about the switch blade causing problems while riding is if you have them as pegs or your highway pegs are really low. My wifes bike has them as pegs on her Volusia which I have lowered 2 1/2 inches. She actually has the Flame Switch Blades.

OK, I'll pull out the bigger wrench and give it a go. Thanks. How does your wife like the Flame ones? Those were an option I was considering, but it looked like no one used them, which I took as a bad sign.

Yeah, you do have to really heave on it to keep them from spinning. If they're like mine, the surfaces are smooth, and only tightening the bolt pulls them together, and friction keeps them from spinning. Kuryakyn shows some adapters on their website that are "splined", I think for the purpose of helping out with this problem. You should be able to get them tight enough to keep them in place though. Tighten the "footpeg fastener" into the "male mount" on you instruction pictures. Good luck. Larry

Yeah, you do have to really heave on it to keep them from spinning. If they're like mine, the surfaces are smooth, and only tightening the bolt pulls them together, and friction keeps them from spinning. Kuryakyn shows some adapters on their website that are "splined", I think for the purpose of helping out with this problem. You should be able to get them tight enough to keep them in place though. Tighten the "footpeg fastener" into the "male mount" on you instruction pictures. Good luck. Larry

I wonder if I can put in one of those wavy lockwashers to give it more bite? Thanks for the insight.

I just installed the Longhorn Duallys on mine, and I had the same problem with one of them. I swapped the bolts, and both tightened up nicely. I'm not sure if one bolt was just a little longer than the other, or one hole was bored deeper than the other, but the end result was that the one bolt was bottoming out before it really tightened the peg. Thankfully, swapping them solved it, so I didn't have to call Kuryakyn or go searching for slightly shorter bolts.

I just installed the Longhorn Duallys on mine, and I had the same problem with one of them. I swapped the bolts, and both tightened up nicely. I'm not sure if one bolt was just a little longer than the other, or one hole was bored deeper than the other, but the end result was that the one bolt was bottoming out before it really tightened the peg. Thankfully, swapping them solved it, so I didn't have to call Kuryakyn or go searching for slightly shorter bolts.

Where's Quality Control when you need them? I only wrenched in one side, and it had no effect. I'll try the other, and if that works I'll try swapping to see if that solves the problem. If not, I might try the wavy washer to add fake depth and bite.

That's the exact reason why I got rid of them when I had my VTX. The issue is the side that keeps spinning (the brake side if I remember right), the bolts needs to be a reverse thread. I e-mailed Kury about it and they sent me a new adapter that had some ridges on it. It helped but it didn't solve the problem. Others have fixed it by either drilling a hole and screwing in their own set screw or they used a hardening compound like liquid nails (I can't think of the name of the clear stuff that most people use).

Ended up buying Iso rounds and didn't have any issues after that.

Kinda embarrassing, but also not. Last night when I went out to try tightening the Footpeg Fastener, I was actually tightening the fastener holding on the rubber pads. Oops. I blame the installation diagram, which is kinda confusing because it doesn't show the two fasteners at the same time. But really, had I examined the part closely, I would have seen the proper bolt hidden on the underside beneath the rubber pads.

I tightened them tonight in the proper position, and they stayed. Yay!

One drawback I see with these Kuryakyn pegs is that they use standard sized bolts, rather than metric. So now I need to haul around another set of tools, at least until I am sure the parts aren't going anywhere and that I like where I have them.

Thanks all for the help. It is much appreciated.