IGNORED

Shock air pump

frankc

Now i know someone posted this before but, you know how it works, i can never find things when i need them so please bear with me.

Does anyone know who makes an air pump with a gauge to be used on the shocks. I need it to be small enough to carry with me. i would like to try different pressures while i'm on the road to find the best combination.

Thanks everyone and have a safe summer

In the 99,000 miles I have put on my 83 Std 1st gen, this is what has worked best for me.

Harbor Freight has a small compressor with a gage that cost about $8. I have found that I can attach it and when I turn it on that it will show pressure on the hose and when it gets to a certain point it will off seat the valve core in the valve stem, letting in air. I know this because when I turn off the compressor, the gage goes to zero and air does not leak from the shock. I can also use the gage as a reference because whatever the gage reads when pumping will be the same as my digital air gage reading.

On my digital air gage, I put a slightly thicker o-ring on it. This causes me to have to push slightly harder to get a reading, but it is vertually "a no air loss" reading.

I know there will be some saying you can not use an electric pump on your shocks, but I have done it for about 13 years and almost 100,000 miles and have never had a problem. The pump from HF has a gage and also has an on/off switch in the wire. For me to go from 40 to 65psi will take several seconds and is real easy to control exactly how much air I put in the shock. I even use this on my front shock and not exceed 12psi.

RandyA

Here's a link to one that I like, 0-60psi lets you adjust tires and suspension. I wouldn't recommend trying to pump a tire up with this but the bleeder valve lets you adjust to exactly the pressure you want with no loss of pressure when you disconnect.

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=910-177&N=0&Ne=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=suspension%20pumps&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10&No=