IGNORED

Sidewall Cracking on One side of Avon Venom-X

here is my take on the tire issues.........

ok, i buy a tire from joe "joes tire mfg"

i have joes tire for a few months and find that it has cracks or defects of some type, and i ask joe " hey joe? whats with this problem?" and joe says "i have had some bad batches of this tire" but i willl give you another tire for your troubles..

if joe came looking for me, and said hey!! i got some bad tires out there and i want to save your life with a new design tire, then i would be a player..... however if i gotta poke joe in the head and ask for another tire, just to find out that he knew he had a problem and didn't seek me out to save my life???? do ya see where this is going??:confused24:

if it's just about saving a buck? then take the free tire and risk your life and everyone around you with that free tire... just to save a buck.:no-no-no:

if it's not about the money, then buy another brand...

sorry if your name is joe and you make tires. mike:whistling:

I agree. Tires have serial numbers and these are registered when the tire is purchased. The whole idea is for the manufacturer to notify customers when a defect shows up. Perhaps these complaints should be foreworded to the NHTSA.

Mike

I agree. Tires have serial numbers and these are registered when the tire is purchased. The whole idea is for the manufacturer to notify customers when a defect shows up. Perhaps these complaints should be foreworded to the NHTSA.

Mike

AT LAST!! SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS:cool10::clap2:

I have been thinking about installing avons on my rsv, but is the cracking issue solved???

That is an EXCELLENT question. Avon AND the tire rep told me (when they replaced my first set) that the problem was resolved. A few months later, that set that was from the 'resolved batch' cracked almost exactly the same... And then it got worse, it started to crack in one of the treads itself.

That set got replaced with E3s (courtesy of my dealer).

Been on E3s for ~15k miles or something like that and am quite happy with them. I'll be looking for the next set sometime in the next couple of months and as far as I'm concerned Dunlop has my business.

IMO, ME880's or E3's are the best tires for the RSV. Too many horror stories about the Venom's and their inexplicable sidewall cracking issues. On my 2nd set of 880's and they have been flawless. Wife on her second set of Dunlops on the Softail and she's approaching 20K miles. Again, no issues ever.

Good luck!

IMO, ME880's or E3's are the best tires for the RSV. Too many horror stories about the Venom's and their inexplicable sidewall cracking issues. On my 2nd set of 880's and they have been flawless. Wife on her second set of Dunlops on the Softail and she's approaching 20K miles. Again, no issues ever.

Good luck!

Based on the folks that have talked about the ME880s falling apart or 'chunking' and Meltzer's unwillingness to accept that it was a problem. But I'm glad yours have been good for you! :happy34:

I've ridden with 880's on my VStar for years and got superb mileage out of them, love the handling etc etc.. but hadn't tried them on the RSV.. I know a few lads around here riding with them and no one's reported any problems after 2 or three sets over the years..

I wonder if it was just that one bad batch of tires that will haunt them for the rest of their lives?

I've ridden with 880's on my VStar for years and got superb mileage out of them, love the handling etc etc.. but hadn't tried them on the RSV.. I know a few lads around here riding with them and no one's reported any problems after 2 or three sets over the years..

I wonder if it was just that one bad batch of tires that will haunt them for the rest of their lives?

This is true. After being the survivor of a rear blowout myself, I have to say that seeing the pictures of those few that did and the apparent lack of concern from Meltzer has really turned me off to that brand. I HOPE that it really was just a few isolated incidents and whatever the issue was/is has long been corrected.

My personal problem with Avon is along the same lines except a rep from the corporate office that I talked with assured me that they were well aware of the problem and it had been corrected so my replacement tires would be just fine. They weren't, same problem until severe cracking started to occur inside the tread itself - Literally part of it started to 'split'. That phone call I got some doofus that told me it had 'something to do with the stray electric fields near the tires' or some b.s. like that. Too bad for him that I happen to know a thing or two about science and was able to educate him a bit on what electric and magnetic fields are as well as what they can and cannot do.

My local dealer and the regional tire rep acknowledged that there was a big problem and then made it right but sadly it will be a while before I trust another set of Avon Venom-x's for this bike.

Again, I realize that defects happen, 'stuff' isn't perfect and that there are many reasons for rubber to deteriorate and such. So far I do not have a reason to not trust these Dunlop E3s and I have had good luck with Dunlop on several different bikes so just like lots of people like to do I will stick with what I am comfortable with and let everyone else do the same for them.

I do hope that you and anyone else reading this continue to have many many trouble free miles with YOUR tires, WHATEVER brand, style and type you may choose.

I stopped at a local shop yesterday to get a quote on venoms. There sat a bike on the floor with venoms installed. The tires had not been road yet, I looked closely, and in the tread were small cracks. No thanks!

Yikes. You didn't happen to peek at the manufacture date, did you? (I assume not since you didn't post it) but I am a tad curious how old they are...

Avon replace my tires 2 times For side wall cracking. Got a new set coming , They told me they are working on the Prpblem.

M/C Technical Product Manager, Told me in a E- mail to Run my PSI at 42/ 48 He said they were in the process of improving the sidewall rubber on our tyres to make them less prone to flex cracking.

Here is PH # you need to call if you got a Problem ( Hes the ( Account Manager )

His Cell # 760-628-8134

Office- 330-928-9092

toll free-- 800-624-7470- Ext- 3753

Fax- 330-928-0503

PSI- Solo rider- 38/44----- 2 up Heavy-- 42/48 --Based on a 170 LBS man