Has anyone ever experienced the shifter on their first gen feel sorta flexy or mushy on the down stroke? I just dosnt seem to have a solid stop feeling when stepping down on the lever. It seems to shift ok but I have become nevous that I might over rotate the shifter and go beyond the limits of the linkage as it happened one time a while back. When this happens the lever winds up just sort of hanging there pointing at the ground.

Any experience or fix information is appreciated before I start to tear things down.

:think::confused24:

THe only thing I can think of is that the outer shaft passes through the stator case, and on the back side of that there is a ball & knuckle joint with a rod that goes to the rear of the tranny where there is anothe knuckle joint. From there it passes through the tranny to the shift cam on the right side. Possibly one of the knuckle joints are bad. You could remove the clutch cover (carefully so as not to tear the gasket), have someone move the shifter and see if the play is on clutch side or shifter side. I know that you cannot access the rod between the knuckles without removing some stuff.It's buried!!! Maybe someone else knows more (I'm sure they Do), but perhaps this is a starting point for you.

Good luck, Dan:080402gudl_prv:

Bid Daddy, on my '86 Royale just a few weeks ago the shift rod between the two knuckles broke. Had noticed the same feel that you are talking about. It had been welded before with a piece of cold roll rod about 3/16th in dia. I tore the bike apart and replaced the rod with a piece of 1/4 inch stainless rod about 3" long. Soldi feel and the best shifting I have had with the bike. I have had it about a year and a half. You can look just above the trans. plate on the left side of the bike. Should be able to see the rod, if it looks like it is bent that may be the problem

Chuck

I pulled the stator cover off and the cover for the clutch on the left side. Shifter rod broke at the front knuckle and had previously been welded. As I said I replaced it with a piece of 1/4" stainless rod (welded to the knuckles). It'a a b**** getting everything back in place as I don't have the smallest hands by any means, but kept at it until I had everything lined back up. Still need to replace the gasket on the trans cover. Now it markes it place like some other older bikes. Put the bike on the center stand and with a small flashlight look downward right above the trans. cover and behind the stator cover. These were originally a threaded rod that screwed into the two knuckles. I believe it was for adjustment. Mine was in almost an "S" curve when both pieces were held together. Sorry, but I was so Pi**ed I didn't think to take pics. The bike left me and my fiance' stranded 40 miles from home and had to wait for someone to come get us with my van and trailer. Not really such a bad job, just time consuming.

... Still need to replace the gasket on the trans cover. Now it markes it place like some other older bikes. ....

Hi,

did you place a copper Washer under the lowest(6-o-Clock-Position) Bolt on the Tranny Cover ?

This Bolt needs this Washer or Oil will drip out constantly.

Thanks for the input guys! :clap2:

That is exactly what it feels like is happening! And as for that little copper washer I am glad you mentioned it. I have always put it back in on reassembly but I remember asking myself if it was really needed or was just added by some well intentioned mechanic before I got the bike.