IGNORED

Texas Panhandle Carbtune day

Jerry W

hi jerry

my son is riding up with me today. stayed at my house last night so we could leave right after i got home this morning. as i got within a few miles of the house he called me said he has a flat rear tire. leaking from the valve steam, tryed to fix it but no go. will be taking the tire to a m/c shop to have it fixed. still coming just will be a few hours behind our go time. will try to make amarillo or some place on i-40 by 9:00 pm today. will see if he's a hard core rider on his v-star. will see ya saturday good loard willing and the creek don't rise.

best reguards

don c.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry:

Sorry, I was looking forward to meeting everyone but my tire order got delayed and it looks like it won't get put on today :(

If the sidewall wasn't in such sad shape I'd ride up there anyways...

Sorry I missed everyone. Hope everyone has safe travels on their way home!

I may make a detour into Wizards on the way up or out....

It's been about three years since I was through that part of borger. I on't remember Wizard's looking as bad as it did today. And I seem to remember there being a big sign with the name of the bar out front. It must have gotten blown away with the high winds we've been getting. All I saw was the letter "W" in a window.

The weather was just a bit uncooperative today. We had temps in the low 50's to high 40's today with fog and heavy mist. It really didn't make for ideal riding conditions, but I jumped into the zero degree Carhart coveralls and made the trip anyway (if there's food, I will come). To guys who were coming up from houston made it as far as Memphis and had to turn back on account of the weather. According to the weather map, they had their work cut out for them on their return trip. I hope you guys made it back OK. I don't know if anyone showed up after I left at 3:00 PM. I didn't see anyone coming up from Amarillo. I enjoyed meeting the three guys that were there anyway, and the food was top notch!

The weather could have been a little better, but not much we can do about that. Hope Gunboat and Joe made it back to Houston ok, they made it to Memphis, Texas Friday and called me Saturday morning to see how it was going. I recommended they head back home because the weather was supposed to get wetter and it looked to me like it was going to be a little dicey all the way to Houston.

The turnout was light, but we had a good time. Here are some pictures as required.

Guest tx2sturgis
It's been about three years since I was through that part of borger. I on't remember Wizard's looking as bad as it did today. And I seem to remember there being a big sign with the name of the bar out front. It must have gotten blown away with the high winds we've been getting. All I saw was the letter "W" in a window.

Hey Schlepp, they moved out of that old building a couple years back. The new Wizards is back to the west, same side of the road, in a nice big white building. Big enough to hold probably 500 people I'd say. The last few times I've stopped in for a brew, the bar wench has greeted us with...well, lets just say, she smiled and raised her shirt, and said "c'mon in guys!"

Sorry that I didnt make it, but I had some other plans develop for me in Lubbock. Had a flat on the way home, which I'll post about in another new thread.

Jerry, I see Forrest found the burgers, but where's the brew?

hi jerry

looks like ya'll had a good time, may be next time. had a few troubles but made it home in one peace. life is good, my son & i are alive and ok. tried posting earlyer but was taking to loong to tell the whole story and computer timed out on me. now i have a story to tell around the camp fire. thanks again jerry. thank you lord that my son and i are still here. best reguards

don c. :shock3::shock3::shock3:

hi jerry

looks like ya'll had a good time, may be next time. had a few troubles but made it home in one peace. life is good, my son & i are alive and ok. tried posting earlyer but was taking to loong to tell the whole story and computer timed out on me. now i have a story to tell around the camp fire. thanks again jerry. thank you lord that my son and i are still here. best reguards

don c. :shock3::shock3::shock3:

Did you have any difficulties in making it back home?

Forest (being a native northerner) would probably disagree with me, but in my opinion it was just flat cold and wet up here. Had it not been for the fact that I had proper (in my opinion) cold weather attire, I wouldn't have tried it. But I had to at least try, free food was involved. I could either try to brave the cold and eat burgers and brats, or I could have sat at the mall with four guys with the locall Gold Wing group with our bikes on display inside the mall. Free food wins every time.:happy34:

joe's bike broke down in memphis,tx just about 45 mins after calling jerry w. bolt that holds rear brake drum to stabilizer bar broke/ came loose. lever on the drum rotated from the 9:00 o'clock position and wegded into his swingarm. locked up tire had to drag bike out of middle of street to sidewalk. took about 3 hrs to fix, broke the splined shaft that the lever that operates the brakes broke off. lucky hardware store was just 2 blocks away. had to buy hammer 2-10" cresant wrenches & a crow bar to fix. also lucky that joe was coming to a stop light and was going slow. friday we had be doing 80-90 mph on different parts of i-45 & US 287. joe had no rainsuit nor a jacket. his v-star has no windshield. joe told me it was suppose to in the 80's all weekend. rode all the way back to houston with no rear brakes. stayed at my sisters house in ft.worth saturday night.

got cought north of ft.worth in a very bad rain storm we both got soaked. made it home today at 4:30pm.

best reguards

don c.

thanks for asking what happened. i had my work jacket in saddle bag. i had worked a double shift thursday. went to work at noon thursday got off friday morning at 7:00am. joe had stayed at my house thurs. night. at about 7:15 am on the way home joe calls and tell me his rear tire is flat. tell him to use air compressor to air up tire & find leak. have to take tire off & go to local m/c shop but they don't open until 9:30 am. ( this is were that brake drum bolt to stabilizer doesn't get tighten up i guess.) we are on the road out of houston about 10:30 am. ran in to first rain storm just south of electra,tex.

we stop at wal-mart in vernon,tx so joe can buy a jacket, 'cause it's getting cooler. stop in childress,tx to gas up & buy some coffee. joe ask if we were going to get a hotel there. i said would like to make it to i-40 before we stop ( still over 200 miles to amarillo). we push on and finaly we stop in memphis,tx for the night, it's now 9:30 pm.

don c.

we wake up saturday morning to see it had rained after we went to bed after 10:30 pm friday night. the temps were in the high 40's & low 50's. i had been up about 24 hrs at this time. the people at the old motor motel tell joe there's a john deer tractor supply up the road that may have some winter coats. but no they didn't so he bought a cheap rainsuit to put overe the sweat pants & shirt he had bought in vernon,tx the day before. about 1,300 miles all in all it was good. we were just 80 miles short of jerry w house. we could have made it if we had got an ealier start. but life is good got some riding time in with my son.

best reguards

don c.

got to my sister's house,bout 7 pm fri,granite ok,was heading out sat morn,cold rain 40 deg,slick front tire,so i tryed to go anyway made it to sayre ok small flood so turned around went, back to granite,wrote your ph# down wong,so could not call no mishappies got home aroung bout 6 pm yesterday,will be up that way again so will stop by

doc app,went ok have to go back the 21

:95: