IGNORED

Oil level warning light.

I have a 1988 VR with 64k miles on it. I have looked through as many threads as I can find on this problem and can't find a solution to my issue. I was out riding yesterday and my oil level warning light came on and the red LED started flashing. I pulled over on the shoulder as quickly as possible and had a buddy hold the bike upright so I could check the oil level for fear I had created another oil leak (previous leak fixed) and lost my oil. The oil was at very near the 3/4 full level so I wasn't low on oil. We sat there for a few minutes letting things cool down and my nerves to settle down not wanting anything serious to happen to my ride. After about 5 minutes I cranked it back up and the light stayed on so I let it run and rocked it from side to side and still the light stayed on. We started riding again but instead of it being pleasurable for me anymore I was concerned with a problem in the engine now. So I decided to turn around and head back home. About 5 miles from the house the light went out. It stayed off until I pulled into my drive way and the DA** thing came back on again.

Now I have read the others have had this problem but it was when the were cranking on the throttle while going through the gears. I could understand this if that was the case with me but I was just riding along minding my own business. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it? Red lights give me the willies and FLASHING red lights is hard on the old ticker. All help will be greatly appreciated as always.

Even after fixing the CPM I still have flashing red lights. Mine are fuel, brake and oil in order of frequency. I looking at it this way, you gassed up and you know you can run 150 miles; you checked the oil and it is full prior to departure and you don't have a drop in brake fluid or braking action; chances are it is a sensor/wiring problem. It's annoying but I don't have any of these warning bells on my Shadow and it seems to run fine. check your fluids before heading out, then without physical proof you have a problem, ignore/tape over the blinking red light.

Enjoy your ride!