IGNORED

Using Sea Foam

slipstreamer

I have bought some Sea Foam and am not quite sure whether I should just pour some into the gas tank or if I also need to pour some into the carburetor. I think the carbs are what need the cleaning the most which would be taken care of by the Sea Foam in the gas tank. However, given that my plugs were black, it may also be a good idea to clean up the valves with it. If you have used Sea Foam, how have you used it to get good results? Thanks for your input. :thumbsup2: If you put some in the carbs did you pour it in directly while the engine was running or did you use the vacuum lines? :confused:

You just put seafoam in the tank.

If you plugs are black, this means that either you are running very rich or you have a persistent misfire. If all plugs are black, it is unlikely that it is the ignition system causing it. Using Seafoam is a good first step, but you will need to change the plugs after running a tank or two of Seafoam in order to get a good reading and see if it made any difference. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If you suspect a dirty carburetor wait until your tank is about 1/4 full (3/4 empty if you're a pessimist :rotf:) pour the whole can in and run the engine to make sure that the carbs are full of the stuff. Shut it off and let it sit over night. Next day take her and fill her up and ride.

If you don't suspect anything wrong with the carbs do what flb_78 said.

There are 2 trains of thought on using SeaFoam.

1: Corrective maintance. It is used to de-gunk a gunked up fuel system. Put LOTS into the carbs by running a concentrated dose thru the fuel tank, or by poring directly into the throat of the carberator (This will NOT clean out the bowls or any part of the fuel tract at or before the jets)

from Seafoam's website:

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM

In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines

Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
  2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
  3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
  4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

2: Preventative maintance. run a much less concentrated dose of SeaFoam thru the enire fuel path periodeadocly.

Also from Seafoam's website:

When Added to Fuel Tank

• Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
  • Cleans carbon as you drive
  • Lubricates upper cylinders
  • De-ices and removes moisture
  • Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
  • Stabilizes fuel

One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

SeaFoam's MSDS is here:

http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

Thanks guys. I will take it in two steps then. First, I will drain the tank down to about one liter then put in 1/2 can of Sea Foam, run it, shut it down and let it sit over night. Then run it the next day until it is on reserve. If that does not do the trick, I will pour some into the carbs while it is idling then shut it down again and let it sit over night. That is supposed to clean up the valves as I understand it. If it is still running rough after that I will change the plugs again (I just changed them a few days ago) and do a carb synch: Hopefully, that won't be necessary. I am getting a bit long in the tooth so picking the bike up and shaking it is getting to be a bit of a struggle but, I think I can still manage it. :whistling:

Thanks again for your help guys. I will let you know how it turns out. :thumbsup2:

Well, I took Atlas for a run today after I finished bleeding the brakes and the clutch. The objective was to burn off some gas so I could put the Sea Foam in as planned. So, three things about the run: First, Atlas ran like the beauty that he always has been. I guess just changing the spark plugs made a huge difference which is amazing since he has been parked for about five years. I still heard the odd pop on decleration though so, I am still going to do the Sea Foam thing. Second, this was my first ride since I totalled my 93 (again) last June 06 (06-06-06) and I have to tell you it sure fealt good. However, I have resolved to quit riding so, these runs are just test runs to make sure Atlas is OK to sell. Ahem! Third, after all of my efforts at bleeding brakes and clutch, the line running to the anti-dive mechanism leaked what I think is fork oil all over my right front brake. I will address this topic in another thread. But, Oh Yeah, that old 84 is so sweet!!! I'll get back here when I have finally done the Sea Foam thing. :dancefool:

i caught it , right away, but i was too late to call your hand!

i surely would like to see someone, who is capable of "picking one up and shaking it"!!!

lol

just jt

We did that with Blueses Virago at last years Pork in the Pines. Her Virago was barley running due to all the rust in the system. We took the tank off drained it (thanks Kantonado aka Ron for disposing of the bad gas in the bonfire) and dumped in a can of seafoam, some chain or nut and bolts and plugged up all the ports and cap. We then took turns shaking the crap out of her (tank). We also took turns signing our names on her backside (of her seat.) The bike ran better after us goof balls got done working on it.

:whistling::whistling::whistling: :confused24::confused24::confused24: