IGNORED

Detachable Tour pak coming soon

I have been searching for a detachable tour pak for my 07 RSMTD for 6 months - i've seen several attempts here on VR - but none that i really liked. A friend & I spent about 8 hrs. in the shop today laying out the template for a detachable tour pak. we finished the template (poster board) and our next step is to fab it out out light sheet metal to confirm fit and finish. next we will take the template to our local laser cutter to have the real detachable mount cut (.0125 steel). We have a friend in Fla. making & shipping the 'U' 1" round tube which mounts to the bottom of the tour pak and to the top of our detachable mount. We went to the local Harley dealer and purchased some docking hardware and ordered keyed locking mechanisms. This is going to be a real sweet setup when done. Once this project is complete i intend to post pics of the procedure to install hardware and pics of the finished product.

If there are any interested RSTD'er who might have an interest in the product, let me know ( i know this is a little premature considering i have no pics to post yet ). i am hoping to have this project done over the course of several weeks - this will be a first class mounting kit with or without the actual tour pak - i'll keep everyone posted.

I expect that some might ask if this detachable system will work on RSV and honestly i don't know anything about that bike, perhaps others who have much more knowledge of the similarities and differences between the bike could shed so light.

Guest tx2sturgis

Just curious...is the tourpack going to be made from scratch out of sheetmetal? Or are you only fabbing up a mount, and planning on using an existing fiberglass or plastic box?

I read your post twice and I still dont know!

:scratchchin:

tx2sturgis,

i can understand your confusion (after rereading my post). let me clarify - i am manufacturing a detachable 'mount' with a lockable latch (to prevent theft) which will accommodate a separate tour pak of your choice - in my case i purchased an ABS tour pak online for $99.00 and will use that on my detachable mount. the tour pak i purchased has four mounting holes pre-drilled in the bottom and they are 8" center to center, (the 'U' shaped bracket i mentioned which mounts the tour pak to my new detachable bracket will be mandrel bent for 8" centers and may or may not be used - i most likely not use the 'U' bracket and will mount the tour pak directly to my detachable mount with a thin rubeer mat between them for vibration dampening - remember i'm still in the prototype mode) . my quess is that most tour paks can be mounted to my detachable mount. hope i didn't create more confusion. well i'st beautifully sunny here in NC and around 50 degrees, the wife & i are going to do some two up.....ride safe everyone !

I have been searching for a detachable tour pak for my 07 RSMTD for 6 months - i've seen several attempts here on VR - but none that i really liked. A friend & I spent about 8 hrs. in the shop today laying out the template for a detachable tour pak. we finished the template (poster board) and our next step is to fab it out out light sheet metal to confirm fit and finish. next we will take the template to our local laser cutter to have the real detachable mount cut (.0125 steel). We have a friend in Fla. making & shipping the 'U' 1" round tube which mounts to the bottom of the tour pak and to the top of our detachable mount. We went to the local Harley dealer and purchased some docking hardware and ordered keyed locking mechanisms. This is going to be a real sweet setup when done. Once this project is complete i intend to post pics of the procedure to install hardware and pics of the finished product.

If there are any interested RSTD'er who might have an interest in the product, let me know ( i know this is a little premature considering i have no pics to post yet ). i am hoping to have this project done over the course of several weeks - this will be a first class mounting kit with or without the actual tour pak - i'll keep everyone posted.

I expect that some might ask if this detachable system will work on RSV and honestly i don't know anything about that bike, perhaps others who have much more knowledge of the similarities and differences between the bike could shed so light.

Thanks for those pics in your last post. Now I can see what you have in mind and I think your idea has great potential. I did come across a website that was selling a fibreglass tourpack for around five hundred bucks and they also sold an adapter for the Yamaha RSTD detachable backrest system which was between two and three hundred additional bucks, so the price tag was getting pretty close to the thosand dollar mark for the complete rig.

I would definitely be interested in your adapter. The problem with mounting some of the less expensive tourpacks on the Yamaha luggage rack (which attaches to the backrest mount) is that most of them carry hinges on the forward panel, so you wouldn't be able to open them with the standard set-up, as the lid would hit the backrest.:clap2:

I look forward to seeing your final product. If you look at mine you might see there are other ways to do it. My tourpack on my RSTD is detachable as well as my front fairing. I used all the origional hardware so as not to damage the origional bike. There are photos here as well as 2 videos on youtube. Just look under royal star tour deluxe stereo. Anyway love mine, works great, looking forward to seeing your final photos.

David

Well the template went to the laser cutter this morning (i'm ahead of schedule lol) - maybe by the end of the week i'll have the first pass in my hands. i have to retract an earlier comment i made concerning me not seeing a detachable unit here on VR that i liked - DFWRSTD has done an outstanding job, kudos !! i'll keep ya'll posted of my progress. and thanks for the comments and interest shown here :-).

Buz

• 2 years later...

I'd be interesed in the trunk you are working on.