IGNORED

Harley troubles

CrazyHorse

Did you even read the article?

My mom rides a harley. My wife wants a sportster. They are absolutely right, if they corner the "mom" market Harely will have it made.

Jimbob5,

You are RIGHT, the third Gen RSV will look like a Yamaha, not a Harley.

http://www.hullygully.com/Portals/1/images/MARINE/YAMAHA%20logo3.jpg

Gotta love the crossed tuning forks logo!!!!!

It sure looks diffren than the bar and shield logo

http://www.yorkblog.com/flipside/Harley-Davidson.jpeg

since i have always been a sportster fan. i kind of got a hankerin for one of them new orange xr 1200's. first motorcycle harley has built in quite awhile. just a hankerin of course. a little head work, an exaust system, and maybe a stroker kit, and it may just be a runner. :cool10:

Did you even read the article?

My mom rides a harley. My wife wants a sportster. They are absolutely right, if they corner the "mom" market Harely will have it made.

Yes I read the article. I guess the question is did you? I dont think they are gonna get motorcycle sales of women up to 50% from 10%. I just don't see a ton of females lining up to buy any motorcycle. Not to offend the women here I just don't see it. God bless them if they do.

Edited by CrazyHorse

What I want to know. What on a harley is worth being nearly $4500.00 for the same bike over a Royal star? I can buy a RSV and get a fully custom paint job AND all the accessories for less than the price of a new identical harley base model bike.

With today's economy I cant see how they can sell them for such a premium over a nearly identical bike.

Also what is it with painting your new high price harley in flat black? Are they going to offer them in primer only as well? Are they trying to make them have the "old biker" look? Can I pay extra for some road rash on the bags and scrapes and fake rust on the bars? Maybe some cuts and duct tape on the seat to make it more "authentic"?

The problem is that more "kids" that are growing up are less interested in the old 50's and 60's looking bikes like most harleys and the RSV looks like. These kids cut their teeth on crotch rockets. And these kids look at my antique 83 1st gen and say Cool bagger! The young kids want a bagger road bike that looks like their crotch rockets of their youth. it's why the honda goldwing looks like 1/2 a Honda civic now, the BMW baggers look like crotch rockets and both are selling like mad to the younger riders than the harleys.

The best looking harley made is the V-Rod and when you take that bike and conver it to a bagger it looks fantastic. Honestly, I'll probably be dragged into an alley and beaten for this sacrilige... but the Vrod is the future of Harley Not the retro always looked like a harley bikes...

It's why the caddilac cars dont look like the giant boats we all were used to seeing with the caddilac badges. I'd own a CTS in a heartbeat. I'd never be caught dead in a 90's boatmobile from caddilac. but then I'm a young pup... only 40.

Harley has one thing going for them. "RESALE" They are trading in 1 year old bikes for new one's, for 1000.00 bucks. I own a venture & I Know Yamaha will not do that. In a 5 year old Harley you might 1000.00 from what you payed for it. But a Yamaha you will lose 5000.00. But on the other hand I didn't spend 25000. for my venture eather!:think:

I loved my 06 Midnight Venture - great bike. I also loved my 04 Kawi 1500 Vulcan before the Venture. But after losing 207 pounds in the last year, the Venture just felt too heavy and handled different. I wanted another full dress tourer because ride 2 up and we like to take trips. I test rode the HD Ultra Classic and could not believe how well it handled - so I bought one - 2008 FLHTCU Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition. And I love it too! :thumbsup2:

I am also thinking about buying an Ultra next year. I have had friends (Harley riders) tell me that the Goldwing is the way to go. I just think the Goldwing lacks personality.....what do you guys think?

I think they are both beautiful bikes. Goldwing will win hands down in regards to performance and they are a beautiful bike. I just love the classic Harley look and the sound. For me, it would be the Ultra Classic but that's just because I love the style and I even like the offbeat shake of the engine.

When there is a group of bikes my wife said I am a kid again. I check them out and look for things that are different. Truly enjoy the difference in each one. Love my RSV!!! Really hope Yamaha continues the RSV, but with major advances, they have the technology for sure. Harley has had the market for a long time and always will. There sound is great. There financing program makes up for the difference in price by extending a loan for 10 years instead of five or six of Yamaha's, so the payments are about the same or less. Not sure why Yamaha does not wake up to a lot of things, but it is what it is. Like I said, I Love my RSV, but I like Harleys, and Hondas, etc, etc, etc. If I hit the lottery I would have one of each manufacture in my Garage. Have Fun, Later-

just saw the new kawasaki ad today for their new touring bike. this may be the best of all the worlds. v-twin rumble, classic look, and high tech luxury. might be worth a look if someone is in the market for a new ride. if i did'nt like my wing so much and have my v-star 1300 for the v-twin alternative, i would be interested. theres talk of an all new wing in 2010 with 6 speeds and 2000 cc's. i really don't think it needs another gear, and it sure don't need more motor, and it's still way ahead of it's time on styling and technology. :2133:

A friend of mine Ronnie Bought the 2009 Harley Davidson full dresser and he told me he wished he never bought it now due to the over heating problem, He took it to the dealer three times trying to resolve the over heating problem but no luck. He was told the Super 500 ? what ever that is, would help the over heating problem some but it would void the warranty? He wishes now he kept his older Harley full dresser. He said not to buy the new H.D. tourer due to the over heating problem. He said H.D. knew of the over heating problems but kept selling the motorcycle anyway.

Ronnie was Looking over the 03 RSV the other day at the gas station , he told me he wished he bought the RSV instead of the H.D. Since the RSV had good reviews on the motor history. I told Ronnie I was very pleased with my RSV Thanks to Roadkill maintenance.

Buddy

I have alot of experiance with a 2008 Roadking with an oil cooler they do get very hot but so far have had no troubles with itexcept clutch. 6 speed is nice really drops those rpms at highway speed. Its a faster motorcycle then the older versions. The fuel injection is nice compared to the old carbs that used to pop. Very tank like motorcycle that can handle alot of punishment except for the clutch which is still non-hydraulic and not that reliable. I hear they are coming out with hydraulic clutches havent seen one yet.

The Harleys arent bad motorcycles. After reading this article I really dont think a 3rd Gen is going to be a like traditonal 2nd Gen. Its not to rip own 2nd Gen owners style. I know you guys love the style and thats great but I just don't see it happening. Who knows if there will even be a 3rd Gen maybe it will be a Vmax type with a fairing.

Edited by CrazyHorse

A friend of mine Ronnie Bought the 2009 Harley Davidson full dresser and he told me he wished he never bought it now due to the over heating problem, He took it to the dealer three times trying to resolve the over heating problem but no luck. He was told the Super 500 ? what ever that is, would help the over heating problem some but it would void the warranty? He wishes now he kept his older Harley full dresser. He said not to buy the new H.D. tourer due to the over heating problem. He said H.D. knew of the over heating problems but kept selling the motorcycle anyway.

Ronnie was Looking over the 03 RSV the other day at the gas station , he told me he wished he bought the RSV instead of the H.D. Since the RSV had good reviews on the motor history. I told Ronnie I was very pleased with my RSV Thanks to Roadkill maintenance.

Buddy

I have a friend who just traded in his older HD on a classic. He's taking it down to the dealers this morning to have an oil cooler installed. He didn't mention overheating, but I wonder if overheating's the reason???

I was wondering the same thing as Condor. I have a friend who just purchased a 2009 Screaming Eagle tourer - and it has something on it where it shuts something off (I'm not mechanically inclined) to prevent the overheating issues they used to have on those bikes.:confused24:

First of all, I like the 2nd gen, but at this time in my life it is not a priority for me to have one. I also do like my 1st gen that I have put almost 100,000 miles on.

Yamaha, whether not doing a good marketing job or what seems to have never got the 2nd gen on track. I may go into a Yamaha shop and see the same new Venture that has been sitting there for a long time, so the shop seems to be leary of ordering and promoting them. I also can deal with not making a m/c payment in over ten years.

I feel there is a little too much of a "generic" look to the 2nd gen and I still have a hard time telling if it is a Harley or 2nd gen coming at me on the road, even as it is passing me going the other direction.

In fact, I get a kick out of telling some 50 to 60 year lady that has just admired and commented on my bike that; "Why, you were just a girl when this bike was built". They seem to like that. :big-grin-emoticon:

RandyA

I was wondering the same thing as Condor. I have a friend who just purchased a 2009 Screaming Eagle tourer - and it has something on it where it shuts something off (I'm not mechanically inclined) to prevent the overheating issues they used to have on those bikes.:confused24:

The new larger bore Harley engines tend to overheat at redlights, so Harley has set it up where the engine only fires on one cylinder during those times, to reduce overheating. I haven't really looked into the whys of overheating, but I think it may have to do with the larger bore, and thinner cylinder walls. I could be wrong.

After some quick research, I see that the overheating stems from EPA regulations forcing Harley to make these new engines run leaner, which causes more heat. You can remap the computer to richen the mixture, which will cool it down. This may cause the bike to not pass emissions testing, and may not be covered under warranty.

You can also install an oil cooler, and use a good synthetic oil, which reduces friction.

The new larger bore Harley engines tend to overheat at redlights, so Harley has set it up where the engine only fires on one cylinder during those times, to reduce overheating. I haven't really looked into the whys of overheating, but I think it may have to do with the larger bore, and thinner cylinder walls. I could be wrong.

I thought they shook before I'd hate to see it on one cylinder.

Sounds like they didn't do their home work when they designed this engine. I remember watching a segment on TV about how they tortured the new EVO engines before putting them on the market. I started to sweat just watching. Doesn't look like they took the trouble to keep testing as they punched out the CC's. Time for water cooled??? :stirthepot:

Hey, our out west trip last year with our friends Dave & Maria on their Ultra Classic went well. The RSV or Harley never once overheated, even being stuck in traffic on the highway due to a wreck. Going thru Hoover Dam at 110 degrees we were stop and start traffic, and neither bike had a problems their either. The Harley never even had that run on one cylinder syndrom from getting to hot. So I believe like with all manufactures it is a issolated on each bike, like the whine on the rear end of an RSV. The truth is that all manufactures have some glenches on their bikes, we all just hope we don't end up with the one that is a lemon. Being raised in Flint, Autotown, I remember hearing people say never buy a auto that was made on a Friday because workers just wanted to get out of their and build Chit for autos. Um, wonder if it is the same for Bikes. Have Fun, Later-