IGNORED

1978 goldwing.

ken

Had a buddy sale a 2000 honda 1100 tourer yesterday, as part of the deal he took a 1978 wing as trade. the radio does not work, no rear breaks, 75,000 miles, and a few other probems. He wanted to know if I would be interested in it for a few hundred bucks. Don't know much about the old wing, so give me your thoughts:think:. Should I consider it, or just stay focused on getting back into a RSV. Oh my the way I didn't mention I have a 77 kz1000 in the garage with only 11,000 mile on it that just needs a battery.

I just picked up a 1981 GL 1100 Gold Wing Interstate for $600. Very nice condition with new saddle and windshield and near new tires. The brakes are shot due to lack of use. I took off the front calipers and need to order about $100 in parts to fix them. I can't afford the new rotors at $482 each so I will make do. I will also take the rear caliper off and clean it also. Mechanically it is great other than the brakes.

I don't know what condition the GL 1000 you are looking at is, but if it is fixable and you don't put more than $1000 into it, you would have a nice ride. The 1000cc had a lot less power than the 1100cc, and no I don't know why.

Had a buddy sale a 2000 honda 1100 tourer yesterday, as part of the deal he took a 1978 wing as trade. the radio does not work, no rear breaks, 75,000 miles, and a few other probems. He wanted to know if I would be interested in it for a few hundred bucks. Don't know much about the old wing, so give me your thoughts:think:. Should I consider it, or just stay focused on getting back into a RSV. Oh my the way I didn't mention I have a 77 kz1000 in the garage with only 11,000 mile on it that just needs a battery.

If you decide against it, let me know where it is. I'd definitely be interested.

Joe

Not a bad bike I had one some yrs ago rode to Ft Leanardwood MO on it if its in good shape may be a deal. I never had any proublums with mine till I let someone use it and he crashed it. Then went bankrupt.

tom

I just sold mine a couple months ago. I bought it from my ex's uncle in '01. he bought it new. Easy to work on and very dependable. a little underpowered as already stated. Didn't ride to bad but not near as comfy as the venture is. The one thing that you should know is that the old wings have the same characteristic as the ventures in that after you have ridden for a while then shut it off, if you go to restart it the starter will drag at first. They are very cold blooded, warm up takes forever. Don't try to ride it before operating temp as bike will NOT agree. Also, gl1000s run very warm. sitting in traffic, the bike will get hot. Not overheat, but very warm. If you can overlook this stuff, They are about the closest you can get to a bulletproof motor without actually owning a venture. When I sold mine the odometer had stopped working at 189000 miles with never having had the cases split. still didnt use any oil.

I don't know what condition the GL 1000 you are looking at is, but if it is fixable and you don't put more than $1000 into it, you would have a nice ride. The 1000cc had a lot less power than the 1100cc, and no I don't know why.

The Reason was the Final gears. The GL1000 was designed as a naked bike and had tall road gears in them... The GL1100 was designed to be dressed and was geared lower.

The 1100 also had a slightly larger carb and accel pumps in the carb.

I rode a GL1000 for 120,000 miles after I bought it as a wreck for $700. It was a 77... purchased in 83. Had 177K when sold. Next bike was a 81 GL1100.... Put 130K on that one.

I would say they have to be the most dependable and maintence free bikes I've ever seen.

Reaney in NH... adding my 2 cents worth.:97:

I have finished removing all three calipers and found two of the sets had frozen pistons in them. All three had pitting on the pistons. I have ordered $300 worth of parts (pistons and seals) and hope to be able to clean the caliper housing well enough to get them to work. The seals had failed and water got into the piston housing. The brake pads are like new so I did not have to get them. Keep in mind that you cannot get new calipers anymore. So if you buy it and cannot fix what you have then you need to find salvage parts. I should have my parts in a week. I found the cheapest place was Parts Pitt Stop on the net.

vbpgimage.php?do=thumb&p=5441&d=1238689345vbpgimage.php?do=thumb&p=5442&d=1238689364

Edited by Sylvester
add pix