IGNORED

1996 RS dependability

Hello, I am a newbie here but have been watching for a month or so. I am looking at getting a 1996 RS w/ 22k miles on it. It came from Fl so there is a major cleaning in the works. I have heard nothing but good things about the motor (yamaha still makes it). But , what about the rest of the bike. Any coments will be appreciated. This may save me thousands in the future over a harley bagger. Thanks.

The rest of the bike is just as reliable as the engine is. You may run into ignition switch trouble after a while, but this is common on every single bike Yamaha makes. Check the steering and wheel bearings and rear suspension pivot points for grease. Y tended to leave these too dry. Other than that, just ride it. There are owners around with over 100,000 miles on them.

Check the steering and wheel bearings and rear suspension pivot points for grease. Y tended to leave these too dry.

Lynn,

A dumba$$ question :think:, are there grease zyrks(sp?) for any of these? Or is disassembly and assembly necessary?

Walter

Sorry, no grease zerks anywhere on this bike. I've heard tales that some people have added them while they have things apart. I've been tempted to add some to mine, but haven't done it yet.

Also, make sure the steering bearings are tight enough. Y tended to leave these too loose, which can make the bike feel unstable and even get you into some serious wobblies. When they're properly tight enough the bike will feel good and solid.

i have a 96, 97 and an '01royal star. 96 was wrecked when i got it, going to put the motor on my 01 soon. 97( over 75,00 miles) was a close friend's that passed away i bought it from the guy he sold it to and he said it had a blown head gasket?? they had already tore it down some and i couldn't check it out. going to put my 01 motor in it and do a complete re-paint and upgrade on my 01. my 01 is 8 yrs old and has 66,000 miles on it and i've had no big problems with it/. best bike i have ever owned and rode. you can also check out this web site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/start it was started several years ago, for guys that owned the '96-'01 royal stars. lot of good guys on there too and great imfo on them.

tazmo 001 (Small).jpg