So thats what that Strap is for in there :D

Montey here what my kit looks like assorted metric socket and ratchet box wrenches and multi screwdriver a couple special tools needed to change your plugs also.

Stick around this is a great place. all kidding in fun as we all know the first gen is number 1 :thumbsup2: I used to be a snowmobilers you wouldnt believe the harasment on the sled forums polaris vs Ski Poo or Arti-RAt and Yamaha

So thats what that Strap is for in there :D

Montey here what my kit looks like assorted metric socket and ratchet box wrenches and multi screwdriver a couple special tools needed to change your plugs also.

Stick around this is a great place. all kidding in fun as we all know the first gen is number 1 :thumbsup2: I used to be a snowmobilers you wouldnt believe the harasment on the sled forums polaris vs Ski Poo or Arti-RAt and Yamaha

Hey!! I want to trade!! My tool bag (right side saddle bag along with the chain lock) is all chewed up and smells like sour milk. Do have the dipstick though :happy65:but someone mentioned it's for the final drive not engine oil if I recall.

As far as the joking back and forth, I LOVE it.

This site is soooo entertaining. It always seems to me that you folks all know each other and have been friends for many years. I recently reloaded my pc and probably won't bother with the Delphi Forum any longer, because this site has more info and it seems almost 'homey'.

You folks also seem to bend over backwards to help out. I was surprised to see how many people post their phone #'s and offer road help to others.

I just have noticed there seems to be sort of a "click" thing with new gen vs old gen, after reading back a bit in the forums.

With the 2nd genners, it is more of a "Chirp" than a click.

The best tool bag that I have found is one of the canvas Army tool bags. They are very flexible and have several side pouches for stuff you do not want mixed in with everything else. If I had an "original" Yamaha tool kit, I would still have one that I made up.

RandyA

Do the toolkits have anything in them that is specific to the bike? If not, couldn't one just go to Harbor Freigt and pick up what you need to carry? Or, buy a kit from another bike. I have to believe that any local bike salvage yard would have many old tool kits.

Or do most people keep their kits when they get rid of the bike?

craigr

If you buy a 1stGen and it comes with a mint-ish tool kit, it's a mericle. If it has a tool kit, and the bag is sorta chewed up, consider yourself blessed. If the tools are laying in a pile at the bottom of a saddle bag or trunk.... but are all there.... you're fortunate. If you didn't get a tool kit you're just like most of us. And if anyone gives you a choice of either going on a dipstick or snipe hunt....pick the snipe.... :whistling:

the only really hard to get tools you need are the spark plug wrench and the dipstick. And I mean hard to get as in Home depot does not have them.

I took out my mint toolkit from my 83 and stowed it away in the garage and replaced everything with better box ends with racheting. If I hate working with the tools in my garage, I'll be screaming at them on the side of the road.

Get tools you like to use in there. and a real screwdriver. The ones with the OEM kit are junk.

I just mainly wanted to know where it was, so I could look for it. Was interested in the dipstick too.

I am bad about carrying lots of tools just in case. I've always been that way, no matter what I drive/ride. Same thing with my medical kit.

Here is what I carry...

3/8 drive swivel head ratchet

1/4 drive swivel head ratchet

long and short extensions for both

rail of metric sockets 8mm thru 19mm

rail of 1/4 drive metric sockets 8mm thru 14mm

rail of std sockets 1/4 thru 3/4

deep well 10mm socket..6 point

spark plug socket

8mm nut driver

Combination wrenches 8mm thru 16mm and 1/4 thru 5/8

crescent wrench

vice grips

needle nose vice grips

channel locks

needle nose pliers

diagonal cutters (dikes)

metric allen wrench set with ball ends

hammer

3 sizes of std and phillips head screwdrivers...including stubbies.

tire gauge

plug kit

3/8 fuel hose for screwing spark plugs in and out

plug gap gauge

electrical tape and tye wraps

I think that's all I have in there...for now.

• 5 years later...
Did you drag up a five+ year old post to make an HD or GD digging post?:scratchchin:

Also, the easiest way to edit a post is to use the edit button and not do a repost.

RandyA

Thanks for letting us know what we are allowed to do and how to do it correctly

Edited by eagleeye
sp

Tool kit? I've got a spark plug tool and a couple of cheap wrenches, but I don't carry them. I've got my own, which is much better. It has all the even mm wrenches, plus 17 and 19 and 22; pliers; tape; screwdriver with multiple heads; LED flashlight; wire cutters; hex wrenches; some loose nuts and bolts; magnetic pickup wand; mirror on a stick; some popsicle sticks (you never know when you'll need one :confused07: ); white grease tube; and some other stuff which I can't remember right now. I always carry this in the left saddlebag with a small, 12VDC air pump and tire patch kit. I've used the tools several times on trips, long trips and even around town.