IGNORED

antenna question

dragoon-66

I just bought a 04 RSV and have noticed that the antenna's are reversed to all the photos I've seen( all but one ). On my bike the cb is on the right and radio is on the left ( left and right as you sit on the bike ). Does this matter and is there any way I can check to make sure they're wired correctly?

any and all help is appreciated

Yeah, CB is supposed to be on the left.

Yes, it makes a big difference. You will not be able to transmit on the CB and reception may be less than stellar. You can burn out your CB if you try to transmit on the radio antenna because the antenna will reflect the power back to the transmitter and burn it out The antenna has to be tuned not to reflect the power back to the radio (SWR Tuning)

Without a doubt they are probably not hooked up correctly to the CB and Radio. However, if you look under the trunk, on the left side of the bike, there should be wires coming from the left side of the black box under the trunk (CB electronics). If those wires go to the side that the radio antenna (the one without the black thing (load) in the middle) is on then it is hooked to the wrong antenna and should not be used until you get the antennas switched and the SWR tuned.

The wires that go to the antenna on the right will go under the seat and up to the front faring.

You should have your dealer swap them to where they should be. Although I rather doubt the dealer will even bother to, or is set up to, set the SWR.

follow the cable if it is hooked to the cb then it will be fine

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

+1 Definitely check the cables....I've seen several over the years were the CB antenna was correctly installed on the right side.

Never thought about it until now.:starz: Lucky I guess, I've only used the CB 2-3 times since I got the bike in Nov.07! My antenna's were backwards. I went out to the garage

to look as soon as I read this thread.. Swapped them over and tested the CB works okay.

We are going to enjoy a ride today.. This site is great Thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 05 RSV and the movers lost what appears to be conical spacers on each of my antennas. The local dealership can't seem to figure out what part I need. According to the diagram, there is a spacer, which I thought I would need, but the diagram implies the spacer is underneath the bracket. Please help me!

I suspect the part you're seeing is the nut that attaches the fitting on the end of the wire to the bracket. (Part 40, spacer, on the Yamaha parts fiche.) The antenna's folding base simply screws into the fitting molded onto the end of the wire. The fitting fits into a slot in the bracket on the side of the bike. The nut attaches the fitting to the bracket. No washer. The nuts won't come off unless you remove the wires from the bike. You should be able to screw the whole thing back together and be done.

When I bought my 07 last spring I noticed the same thing with the antennas. I questioned and was told that the owner had used it to lead a poker run and the CB worked ok. I told them that if it was wrong it would burn up the CB so they said they would check it and sure enough they were wrong and it did damage the CB. By the time they finished they had to replace CB and main unit. Make sure they are right.

Guest tx2sturgis

A very easy way to remember which side the CB antenna goes on, if you ever remove them and need to reinstall them later:

The CB antenna goes on the same side of the bike as your PTT button for the CB. ( thats on the left grip control housing)

Of course, any mods to the stock cable arrangements or mounts might change this rule!!

Mine were on the wrong side too. Bought my 05 used in 07. Everything worked fine..But it always bugged me why they were oppisite of all the other rsv's

I've seen....Later I bought a drivers backrest and when I went to install it ,I noticed the holes I was supposed to drill out were already drilled .. The instructions cautioned me about the two lines that cross and to be careful not to pinch them under the backrest bracket..I went nuts trying to find the lines that cross..they wern't there . Thats when I realized why my antenas were different AND THE HOLES WERE ALREADY DRILLED OUT.. The previous owner had installed a backrest and then removed it when he traded the bike in..He had changed the antenas so that the radio line didn't cross the other line..:think:

... He had changed the antenas so that the radio line didn't cross the other line..:think:
Wow. Are you sure? Not that it couldn't be done, but it would require a lot of work to yield very little.

How about checking the wire that comes out of the bottom of the antenna that has the black load in the middle. It should route into a black box under the trunk. The plain one should route forward and under the passenger seat. (Just wondering.)