IGNORED

V7goose and brother ride around the texas border, read this

5bikes

Kent,I am on the road but will be thru EARLY Sat AM,possibly Friday evening. If your brother is too sore to ride or if you guys need anything I have a trailer and will come get you ASAP.If he needs a ride back to GA.I will be off all next week and will be more than happy to trailer he and his new bike back home. Just let me know....Hopefully he will be able to finish the trip but keep me in mind if needed.Tom

Looking at the pictures of the bike and reading your story of exactly how it happened, Tom is a very lucky man. He obviously made a great and talented decision to get off the bike when he did. I admire his abilities. Good luck on the rest of your trip...this will be one that none of us, especially you two, will ever forget.

Tom has already closed a deal on a new 2009 Venture S - we pick it up tomorrow. Hope to be back on the road by Friday!

Goose

Talk about resilience - I thought you guys would have a change of plans. But it appears you will be back on your way. Can't keep you down. Way to go.

I'll keep a light on for ya'.

Take care.

Oh...I also want to express my thanks to Chuck and Linda for being there when two other members were in need. You both exemplify what this organization is all about. Members helping Members. We have a lot of fun, learn from each other and sometimes disagree on things but when it comes down to the nitty gritty...we are there for each other. God Bless you both.

Glad to hear Tom is recovering from what could have easily been a more serious condition. Now the material issues can be addressed and it seems Tom will be on the road again on a new bike.

It is times like this when fine folks like Chuck and Linda exemplify what Texas hospitality is all about and makes you feel proud to be a Texan.

If the trip is still on, it will be an honor to personally meet both Tom and Goose when they near the Texas Gulf of Mexico. I will have my 2000 Venture MM this Sunday and will have a chance to ride a few miles with them.

Take care boys and thanks again Chuck and Linda for the hospitality.

Looking at the 3rd Photo posted, appears that something Cut thru that tire.

Has anybody had a chance to examine the tire in detail as yet ??

Lots of us would like to know if this was a tire failure, or was it caused by something external to the tire itself ??

Probably will never know, but I think a close examination would be in order .

Thanks.

Looking at the 3rd Photo posted, appears that something Cut thru that tire.

Has anybody had a chance to examine the tire in detail as yet ??

Lots of us would like to know if this was a tire failure, or was it caused by something external to the tire itself ??

Probably will never know, but I think a close examination would be in order .

Thanks.

We haven't looked at the tire any closer than those pictures - the bike is kinda hard to move and it just doesn't seem worth the effort. We know the road was absolutely clear anywhere near where the tire blew. It is always possible that he hit something that started a cut somewhere earlier - we did ride through some very poor small towns along the border. But the tire was only on for 65 miles, so road hazard seems pretty unlikely if he didn't see or feel anything. And then the trailer he was pulling is another variable. It is not real big and heavy, but any trailer still puts additional stress on a rear tire, especially during maneuvers.

I don't think the Dunlop EIII is a reinforced tire like the Avon Venom is, but it still has a higher load rating than stock (stock rear tires are 74H, the EIII is 77H, and the Venom is 80H).

I don't know what caused the failure, but since this is the first one I have heard of, I'm not spooked yet. I have two more Dunlop EIIIs sitting in my garage right now that I will mount on my RSV when I get back after this trip.

Goose