IGNORED

Having clutch problems

Good afternoon. I am in a frenzy. This question is about my 88 VR. I just did the Barnett upgrade of my clutch and it went so smoothly I was figuring I did something wrong. Well apparently something is wrong cause now I can't pull the clutch lever. I followed the steps from HDHTR in the tech guide to the letter and even took the old plates apart one by one and laid them off to the side in the order I took them out. After removing the boss wire and taking out the last friction plate and steel plate I inspected the basket for burrs and it was in good shape so I began reassembly. Put in the first friction plate, the 16321, and then the first steel plate and then installed the boss wire, and proceeded to install the plate in alternating order, friction, steel, friction, until I was out of new friction plates and all the steel plates had been used up too coating each plate in oil as I went. After installing the Barnett conversion and torqueing the bolts to 8 ft lbs I tried to pull in the clutch lever and I can not pull it in. There is space between the Barnett and the last friction plate I installed and I can move the plates in and out by hand. When I torqued the bolts I had to hold the Barnett to keep it from spinning. It acts as if teh clutch is disengaged but the lever isn't pull in. So I put it all back together and jacked it up with my HF jack and started the motor and put it into gear and there was nothing, like I said as if the clutch lever was pulled in.

The reason I did this conversion is that when I went for a ride weekend before last the clutch started slipping in the upper gears so I wanted to get it replaced before it got too bad. I also might add that I replaced all of the bleeder valves with speed bleeders and purged all of the lines. I thought maybe the clutch has an air blockage causing the slave cylinder to be activeated so I took the speed bleeder completely out hoping it would relieve the pressure but that didn't work either.

So now I am looking for any and all help I can get. Do I need to replace the clutch slave cylinder now and if so I haven't been able to find the procedure for doing that in my seaches. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to have to take it to the stealer to find the problem.

Take the Cover off and undo the six Bolts. Turn the Clutch Plate for each 60 Degrees until it slips INTO the the Basket. I think all will be fine then. The Plate won't fit at any Place there are only one or two Position where it will fit snug.

Did you get the notches in the plates lined up properly with the basket? Did you line up the dimple in the clutch cover with the dimple on the basket?

Do not despair, grasshopper, this happens quite frequently, do not get your panties (or thong!) in an uproar. Most likely just a procedure gone awry. There will be more answers as more get home and jump online!

Dan

Dang, Squeeze types faster than me!

I can't begin to say how stupid I feel right now, The dimples are all lined up in a row just as it outlines in the procedure that HDHTR posted...That was what I checked when I tore it apart the second time. The third time I tore it apart I turned the clutch plate and put it on 6 different times and one of them wobbled so I figured this is definately not right, so I put it back together one more time and it still didn't work so I came in and posted my problem.

Squeeze---you nailed it. I wnet out and took the blots out and turned it one hole at a time and when I got to the place that it wobbled I got more agressive and pushed in and walla...it slid in. And I thought I was somewhat mechanically inclined. Glad no one can see just how red my face is. BUt I hope my stupidity can help someone later on if they run into this same problem.Thanks again guys...you are the greatest!!!

danob11----How the heck did you know I wore a thong??? LOL

• 2 months later...

Dang that was frustrating!

Along with replacing brake pads, battery cables, and more I upgraded my clutch spring too. When I went to take a test flight, my lever was locked up too.

I came in, and hunted around here on VR.ORG, finding this thread. I found the dot on the face, and tried lining it up, 180 degrees, etc, etc, and nothing was working. Upon further investigation I started looking at how it operates, and it seemed as though the plunger was somehow stuck in the out position. Once I freed it up, I again tried placing the dot by the marked spot on the plates, and PRESTO! it worked.

Thanks for the knowledge guys.

Thanks Freebird for all your efforts.