IGNORED

Stroke questions from Pete.

sarges46

Hi Folks.

I just got off the phone after talking with Pete (tessac2). He seems to being doing well considering.

He has questions from stroke survivors.

He was wondering if folks could put their experiances here and in particular interest to him is the bikers who are riding after having a stroke.

His left hand is quit weak and at this time he says he could not close the clutch if his life depended on it.

His left leg is weak and his foot wont listen too well yet. Not good enough to shift gears he figures.

And lastly...balance...the folks in rehab are worried about balance for riding.

He tries to peek in here every now and then...but I will print up everything just before we head out to see him next Saturday.

Thanks

Thanks Brian.

He has something but it doesnt seem too good. Normally from here we head north west on 16....

Also

Pete if you see this....I know for sure Lowell (wildhair) had one...he mentioned it in the original post I made about yours. He says it took 4 months before he was back to work. No-one can say it affected his riding for sure!!

Get well soon Pete. If you are reading this, Bigbob, Bigbob's lovely wife, and I are coming up on Saturday as well. Had planned to meet Sarge46 as well, but it appears we will miss each other. Hang in there Pete and see you next Saturday.

Pete, when I was a very young child my Grandfather had a stroke and never recovered from it. His mind was affected and he was permanately paralyzed. He lived several more years in this state.

When I was in high school my Father had a stroke and was paralyzed for about a week. He had to exercise his hand and practice writing. He had to practice his speech as well as he sounded drunk when he was tired. He was able to totally rehabilitate himself, but he had to work at it for a while. He lived about 30 more years.

Five and a half years ago my older Brother had a stroke and went into a coma a couple of days later and then died a week and a half later. He was 54. My brother only had one major vein that went completely to his brain so when a blood clot formed there he had no other blood flow to his brain. You should have 4 veins. The doctor said that I should not have my checked because even if they found I had only one, that there is no way to repair it. He was a retired police office and my best friend.

As you can see everyone is different as are all of the results. Good luck to you

Hi Pete:

Hopefully this letter is finding you getting stronger everyday.. Like a bunch of others, I too am praying for you!!

Considering biking, as others here have pointed out - every case is different. My dad had a stroke years ago and with lots of therapy he is about 90% better, I also might add that he is much more sensitive emotionally then he was before his stroke.. I say this bring you to a long range perspective of your condition.. Give yourself lots of room to re-establish control over your extremities - time and therapy is numeral uno!!

I have been around bikes all my life and can tell you that Scooters, yes Scooters, have come a long way thru the years!! Personally, I would NEVER be ashamed or embarrased to ride one of the new 650's ANYWHERE at anytime.. While on a bike tour down south I bumped into an older couple who were all packed up and on the road - she on here 400 and him on a 650, both scooters.. I asked them how far they had come and they were from the state of Washington with over 3500 miles already on this trip!

There bikes are fully automatic - excellent MPG (she was getting 75 MPG!!) and will run highway speeds all day long with no problem!!

Might not be a bad idea if your stroke damage appears permanent!!

Just some thoughts, at any rate we are ALL pulling for you.

'Puc

Hey Pete hope you are coming back quickly!

I had a stroke in 2004. Didn't know what happened but it knocked me down. Doctors informed me what it was after I went for the headaches it gave me. I felt strange (yeah I know) at times for a while after but no other effects that I know of. I've been working on diet a little.

Hang in there Pete, it may take some time but things will get better, have faith, we are all praying for you.

I have a couple of friends that have had strokes and both have made full recoveries and are back to doing their everyday things, hasnt slowed them down one bit, now neither rides a m/c, but I am sure if they did they would be riding.

Keep us updated on your progress, God Bless and good luck.

Lewis & Charlene

Pete,

My mother had a stroke about 12yrs ago. she has no physical problems. she does everything that anyone can do. She currently is 70 yrs old. her only problem is she suffers from Aphasia she can,t read much or speak in full sentances. She has become the world best charades player. The doctors told us that she will have 95% of her recovery with-in the first year after that there will be very little differance to her progress. We noticed alot of progress the 2nd six months of that year. She worked hard to get better but it was mostly with speach therapyst. I guess what I'm trying to say is work as hard as you can with the PT and keep a positive attitude. Remember what Cowpuc said that scooters and trikes are always an option. If I were to get a 2nd bike it would easily be a Burgman, fun to ride, no shifting, and easily does interstate speeds. It Has become a bike of choice for alot of folks commuting into DC which is 50 miles up I-95

Our prayers are with you.