:confused24:I have an 89Vr. The cruise seems to have power, (the lights light up) but the cruise doesnt work. There is a plunger switch on the clutch handle that has a broken mount(plastic thats in the housing that clips into the handle bracket). Therefore, the plunger is always open. Would this be connected to the cruise somehow? If so can I bypass it? It doesn't seem to have any other function. If this isn't the problem, does anybody have any idea where to start? Electrical isn't one of my strong points.:detective:

I agree with Gibvel,

my Switch was broken too. I could manage to turn the Switch by 180 Degrees and that prevented it from falling out of Position. But the Cruise felt out after Seconds or Minutes anyways, depending how bumpy the Road was. When i pressed the Lever forwards with my Fingers, that did not happen.

So, i ended up in giving the Clutch Lever a Bore, just at the Point where the Pivot of Switch engages, taped a M4-Thread in it and put a small Bolt in. After i had installed the Bolt, i grinded the Head of the Bolt spherical and was one happy Camper.

Clutch switch is a double-pole number. One side ties into the engine start interlocks, so you can't start the engine in gear unless the clutch is pulled in. Solution to having this ineffective - don't start the engine in gear with the clutch out! Seriously, this function is defunt on my Virago and the few times I've hit the button in gear the bike jerks forward and I stop. I don't start the bike unless I'm sitting on it, generally.

The other set of poles does in fact tie to the cruise, so your cruise thinks the clutch is always pulled in. I've worked that one over, but my cruise randomly shuts off while riding so I need to take a look at the brake switches.

Jeremy

Guest suprwrench

Hi Folks,

I had a similar problem. After two days of diagnostic work I determined that my clutch switch was not disengaging properly (when the clutch is pulled in it disengages the cruise and when it is released it should act as a interlock to keep the bike from starting in gear, as previously mentioned by another reply), however, the other culprit was a intermittent connector behind the headlight. There is a 6 pin connector in which the cruise engage switch runs through before it goes to to the cruise controller. Everyting will check out fine, but the cruise will not engage or it may engage irrattically. If you look at the wiring diagram it shows the connector, but it is easy to miss. Just some info.

Fred